Poll

Which browser do you feel is the SAFER and better SHOVED down your throat by Avast?

Google Chrome    https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
2 (20%)
Mozilla Firefox   http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 21, 2015, 11:22:51 PM

Author Topic: Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox?  (Read 3502 times)

Unbreach

Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox?
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:22:51 PM »
This is personal opinion only.  :-\  I am highly disappointed in Avast's new likely bought/forced browser upon its millions of users. I have been using Avast for 14 years. Never had virus issues. I love Avast above and beyond all other security. I've sold many and I have installed Avast on HUNDREDS of computers without any influence, money, or payoff. This last year I have seen some very unsettling changes. I will not sway the vote one way of another, HOWEVER, unless Avast is being paid off, its unbelieveable the browser choice they give is only ONE.

I say give the MILLIONS of users the option to chose from more than one browser. And Avast, do you REALLY feel that Chrome is safer? and in OUR best interest?  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:53:44 AM »
Well you are only giving two options and there are many more options, None of the above; Both have similar security options; Other browser.

But crucially this has nothing to do with this sub-forum avast! Free/Pro/Suite it is more suited to the General sub-forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alievitan

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:18:28 AM »
Google has a less than perfect record in the way it conduct business with third party installation, up to the end of 2013 they had a pretty fruitful relationship with the Babylon toolbar makers for example, before that Realplayer.  Also when Chrome first started to be bundled with Avast, it wasn't an opt out like it is now.  It was an opt in,  "yes, install" and "no, don't install" options are de-selected, so the onus was on the user to want to install Chrome.  I guess the install numbers weren't great so Avast switched to the opt out. Thus I have a strong suspicion that money is changing hands between Google and Avast.   

I don't know of any instance of Mozilla paying for bundling its software with third parties, or even allowing it in any type of piggyback third party installation so it is a moot point.  So they certainly won't pay for it, like what Google probably did/does.  Even when the EU mandated the ballot browser box on Windows, Mozilla unofficially stated through its top execs that they thought forcing Microsoft to bundle Firefox basically went against company ethos of internet freedom and what not, even though theoretically it would increase their market share. 

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:44:37 AM »
Although I have Firefox as my default browser, I have no desire to see it as an option during an Avast install.  I would prefer for there to be no third party installs offered at all.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:46:48 AM »
Although I have Firefox as my default browser, I have no desire to see it as an option during an Avast install.  I would prefer for there to be no third party installs offered at all.

+1 for no third party installs. If they were offered they should be "opt-in" rather than "opt-out".
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:48:36 AM »
+1 for no third party installs. If they were offered they should be "opt-in" rather than "opt-out".

Agreed.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Quicksilver8

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:47:27 AM »
Avast has always been my choice for the antivirus. I have recommended it to everyone I know. I had put Avast on another computer, and had not realized that Chrome was down loaded. I had some problems with my computer and that is how I realized it was there. Its sad that Chrome is being pushed. I know several people having problems with it. Yes I agree , Firefox is the better. Have used it for sometime. I am not getting trash on my computer. Just ask my IT asst.
I noticed that Google along with most of the communication companies joined ALEC last year. Get ready folks .with more of what you may not want.