Author Topic: Email scanner report  (Read 2131 times)

Kesetyan

Email scanner report
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »
Hi,

This morning, Tuesday 22 April 2014, Avast 2014 Free (2014.9.0.2018) picked up 3 incoming SPAM emails on my XP SP3 desktop as they contained threats.  The program dealt with them successfully so I have no complaint there.  What concerns me is the content included in the Email shield.txt in the report folder.

The text file is fairly comprehensive and lists where the emails came from but also includes the destination.  Naturally I would expect to see my email address but, unfortunately, the spammer has sent the email to several other customers using the same ISP as me and their addresses are included.  I have no malevolent intentions and I certainly hope that, if their anti-virus software reports in similar fashion, that none of the others listed would misuse my address either.  While I understand that Avast extracts the information from the malicious email headers, it does pose an additional security risk if email addresses are made public in this way.

As far as I am concerned,  as my affected email address was compromised a long time ago, I do not use it other than as the registered address with my ISP.  Although I have other addresses that only very rarely, if ever, get spam, They will not let me remove the address as it is the original registered address - the only way to close it would be to close the complete account and then open and register a new account with them with all the attendant hassle.  Emails that are addressed to the affected account are likely to be spam or from companies I have dealt with but, despite being given the new details, have not updated their records.  Other than notifications from my ISP, I presume all emails coming to the account to be junk and deal with it accordingly.

I would welcome comments and advice from other forum members and experts. Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email scanner report
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:20:13 PM »
The email addresses are most likely in the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) or CC (Carbon Copy) and that information is already public. It is available in the email header information, so it is available to everyone on that list and you, long before the avast the email shield report file was compiled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kesetyan

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:31:42 PM »
Thanks David.  I see what you mean - from my point of view it's fortunate that my address is one I would not normally use but it is a pity my ISP cannot let me have an alternative registration address so that one can be removed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:32:35 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security