Author Topic: Ashwebsv.exe "not responding"  (Read 13285 times)

snevouk

Ashwebsv.exe "not responding"
« on: July 11, 2005, 09:11:54 PM »
Thanks to eveyone in the forums for all the tips and solutions that have been provided over the years.  Generally find the solution to most of my Avast problems in here somewhere, but although Ashwebsv crops up often, I have not found this exact problem reported.

Approximately once or twice a day (under moderately heavy usage) I find that my computer freezes and using Ctr-Alt-Del I find that Ashwebsv is "not responding".  This sometimes happens when viewing an embedded pdf in Firefox using Adobe 5.05 (I don't use the newer Adobe versions because they load so slowly).  It also sometimes seems to happen when my mail checker - POP Peeper - checks for mail (and in this case POP Peeper also crashes at same time).  It happens at various other times as well, with no obvious connection to any specific activity.

Clicking "End Task", then running Ashwebsv.exe to restart the provider again will give me another couple of hours operation before the problem will repeat.  Have put a direct shortcut to Ashwebsv on the desktop as I need to restart it so often.

I am using Win 98 (First Edition) {I will upgrade some day} with Kerio 2.1.5 Personal Firewall.  Use mostly Firefox but occasionally IE as my browser.

What I suspect is a related problem is that most times when I shut down the machine, an alert box will appear telling me that a program is not responding and asking me to either give it more time to shut down (never works) or to end the task immediately.  Ending the task allows machine to shut down normally.  The box generally has no title, so I cannot tell which task is not shutting down, but very ocassionally, the box header says AVtooltipview, which I suspect is part of Avast.

These problems have been occuring ever since the introduction of Ashwebsv into Avast and are still present using the 4.6.684 beta.  Had no problems like this before Ashwebsv.

I have reluctantly had to switch off the Ashwebsv provider (and reset my browsers to connect directly again rather than through the proxy) and my machine is now running trouble free again.

Would really like to be able to switch it back on again, so any constructive suggestions welcome.

I have switched on Websv logging, but AshWebSv.log just seems to be a record of every file checked, and does not appear to indicate any failures.  The AshWebSv.ws file does have a few "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress" entries, but I am sure I read elsewhere that this is normal.

Is there anything specific I should look for in any log files to identify what is causing Ashwebsv to fall over?

Avast has been highly stable and well behaved for me for the past 2 years, but Ashwebsv does seem to be the most unstable program I have come across for a while (at least on Win 98 it does).  Hope a solution is found soon.

Thanks,

Snevouk

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ashwebsv.exe "not responding"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 11:28:25 PM »
First I suggest you do a manual program update and you will be on version 4.6.691 and check if that resolves the issue.

Firefox and IE should work just fine with web shield but with win98 you must manually configure the browsers to work with web shield.

Check out these links and see if there is something here which matches your situation.
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html
For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 12:23:19 AM »
Snevouk, can you try to run lspfix.exe and post a screenshot from it here? (or mail it to me) I suspect there might be some LSP plugins causing this. (just guessing of course)

snevouk

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 09:57:34 AM »
Lukor,

Downloaded and ran lspfix.exe as you suggested.

In the "Keep" column were:-
rnr20.dll  DNS Name Space Provider
msafd.dll   (Protocol handler)
rsvpsp.dll   (Protocol handler)
mswsosp.dll   (Protocol handler)

There was nothing in "Remove colums and when I pressed "Finish" it said it had removed 0 items and renumbered 0 items.

If I am feeling very brave some day I may try removing Windows communications components and re-installing them as described in the lspfix supporting documentation, just in case any files are corrupted, but without AshWebSv running, I can surf the web quite happily without any problems, so I suspect that the comms modules are all OK.

DavidR,

Thanks for the suggestions.
I looked through the tutorials etc, and had everything set up pretty much as shown.  I was managing to surf quite happily using the AshWebSv proxy while it was working.  Problem is just that it stopped responding every now and again and needed terminated and restarted.

Will keep experimenting and see if I can resolve this.  It is not urgent, since I am running happily without AshWebSv, but it just seems a shame that I can't use it.

May wait for a few more Avast updates, then completely uninstall and re-install Avast to see if that resolves anything.  Have not uninstalled it for about 18 months now, so it may need "cleaned out".

Thanks again,
Snevouk

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 10:14:31 AM »
AVtooltipview is part of Adobe Reader.
One of the possible solutions (according to Adobe) is to disable webbrowser integration.
More info can be found HERE

jm1515

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 01:33:16 AM »
What I suspect is a related problem is that most times when I shut down the machine, an alert box will appear telling me that a program is not responding and asking me to either give it more time to shut down (never works) or to end the task immediately.  Ending the task allows machine to shut down normally.

Is there anything specific I should look for in any log files to identify what is causing Ashwebsv to fall over?

Snevouk

Hey all...my first post! ;D

I resuscitated this thread because I have been using A! Home for about 2months now. I use it on my archaic Gateway 2000 with a 200mhz Pentium and Win98SE, fully updated & 256meg RAM, using the latest v of FireFox. I really like the features, compactness and speed of Avast compared to the NAV2002 I had been using.

I am having the exact shutdown problems that Snevouk has....only the shutdown problem, nothing else.

Whenever I hit CTRL_ALT_DELETE, except IMMEDIATELY after loading the browser (but seconds after the very first page loads), the 'Close Program' window tells me that Ashwebsv is 'not responding'.
The WebScanner IS working tho ( I think  ;) ), because I have configured the proxies as instructed, I can see the A-ball rotate when a page loads, as well as check pages scanned and scan count in the On Access Control Center. Go figure.... ???
I'm still using the WebScanner, but this means that EVERY time (in the last month or so) I want to shutdown, I must wait for the dialog window or goto the Close Program window and 'EndTask' for Ashwebsv...then I can shutdown perfectly.

Any insights???

BTW...I installed A! Home at the same time  on my GF's  Athelon-powered pc with Win ME, and her's runs perfectly....

Any light anyone can shed  on this would appreciated...
jm

jm1515

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 07:38:28 PM »
No takers??  :'(

Short update....when I updated to v4.7, my problem went away until I shutdown that day.
Next day, same thing...ashwebsv is still 'not responding' according to my 'task manager', and I have to  'end task' it everytime I shut down.

Anyone??? ???

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:49:30 AM »

Short update....when I updated to v4.7, my problem went away until I shutdown that day.
Next day, same thing...ashwebsv is still 'not responding' according to my 'task manager', and I have to  'end task' it everytime I shut down.

Anyone??? ???

Do you have any active connections during shutdown? Like download in a progress?

jm1515

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 03:24:47 PM »

Anyone??? ???

Do you have any active connections during shutdown? Like download in a progress?

lukor...no DLs on shutdown. Before I shutdown, AAMOF, I always disconnect from the web and close FFx.
The 'Not responding' on task manager is there all the time, as I described above (always while just browsing or even with FFx closed and disconnected from the web), but I'm pretty sure the webscanner is working.
I'm typing this on my GFs WinME system, and Task Manger shows ashwebsv loaded and working right now...but it's always 'not responding' on my Win98 SE installation.
I have to manually 'End Task' every time before I shut down....

jm

jm1515

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 12:34:00 AM »

Anyone??? ???

lukor...no DLs on shutdown. Before I shutdown, AAMOF, I always disconnect from the web and close FFx.
The 'Not responding' on task manager is there all the time, as I described above (always while just browsing or even with FFx closed and disconnected from the web), but I'm pretty sure the webscanner is working.
I'm typing this on my GFs WinME system, and Task Manger shows ashwebsv loaded and working right now...but it's always 'not responding' on my Win98 SE installation.
I have to manually 'End Task' every time before I shut down....

jm

One bump...then I guess I'm on my own.... :(

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 06:22:24 PM »
jm1515,
can you run TcpView from www.sysinternals.com a check if there are indeed no connections between WebShield (ashwebsv.exe) and other host (or applications on your system). I am still trying to figure out what might be the cause, but beside from hanging connections I have no clue.

The "no responding" message in the Win98 "task manager" is as far as I know only an indication, that the main window of that "not responding" application is not accepting window messages - and as Webshield does not have any main window it does not accept any messages, never ;-)

Thanks.
lukor.

jm1515

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »
jm1515,
can you run TcpView from www.sysinternals.com a check if there are indeed no connections between WebShield (ashwebsv.exe) and other host (or applications on your system). I am still trying to figure out what might be the cause, but beside from hanging connections I have no clue.

The "no responding" message in the Win98 "task manager" is as far as I know only an indication, that the main window of that "not responding" application is not accepting window messages - and as Webshield does not have any main window it does not accept any messages, never ;-)

Thanx, Lukor. I will run this tonite when I leave work.
I'll post results as best I can......

Thanks.
lukor.

jm1515

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 01:53:02 AM »
Lukor...here you go.
I don't have XP, so the 'Process' column is not displayed... :(

TCP   johnm:0   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:135   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:1027   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:1026   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:1026   localhost:1027   ESTABLISHED      
TCP   johnm:1027   localhost:1026   ESTABLISHED      
TCP   johnm:1028   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:12080   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:137   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:138   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:nbsession   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:137   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:138   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:nbsession   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:12080   localhost:2237   ESTABLISHED      
TCP   johnm:12080   localhost:2233   ESTABLISHED      
TCP   johnm:12080   localhost:2235   ESTABLISHED      
TCP   johnm:2233   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2234   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:2234   sm00.avast.com:80   CLOSE_WAIT      
TCP   johnm:2233   localhost:12080   ESTABLISHED      
TCP   johnm:2235   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2236   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2237   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2238   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2239   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2240   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2241   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2242   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2243   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2244   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2245   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2246   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2247   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   johnm:2248   johnm:0   LISTENING      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:2236   sm00.avast.com:80   CLOSE_WAIT      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:2238   sm00.avast.com:80   CLOSE_WAIT      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:2241   sm00.avast.com:80   CLOSE_WAIT      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:2245   sm00.avast.com:80   CLOSE_WAIT      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:2246   sm00.avast.com:80   CLOSE_WAIT      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:2247   sm00.avast.com:80   CLOSE_WAIT      
TCP   04-177.063.popsite.net:2248   sm00.avast.com:80   CLOSE_WAIT      
TCP   johnm:2235   localhost:12080   ESTABLISHED      
TCP   johnm:2237   localhost:12080   ESTABLISHED      

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 10:34:56 AM »
John,

these are 3 connection between WebShield and other process on your system:

Code: [Select]
TCP   johnm:12080   localhost:2237   ESTABLISHED     
TCP   johnm:12080   localhost:2233   ESTABLISHED     
TCP   johnm:12080   localhost:2235   ESTABLISHED     

TCP   johnm:2233   localhost:12080   ESTABLISHED     
TCP   johnm:2235   localhost:12080   ESTABLISHED     
TCP   johnm:2237   localhost:12080   ESTABLISHED     

Might be be the same process that has these 16 listening ports opened:

Code: [Select]
TCP   johnm:2233   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2234   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2235   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2236   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2237   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2238   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2239   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2240   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2241   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2242   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2243   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2244   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2245   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2246   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2247   johnm:0   LISTENING     
TCP   johnm:2248   johnm:0   LISTENING     

Do you have an idea what's that? Do you use any personal firewall? Which one? Any other security solution?

Lukor.

jm1515

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 05:06:06 PM »
Lukor...I use ZA Free. It has given Avast all the proper permissions, and as I say I'm pretty sure WebScanner is working.
I use FireFox exclusivley, also IE6 is still on my PC.
Other than that, I have no other 'protection', except I use Spybot,  AdAware and CCleaner.
I wish I had XP so that TCPView would show the 'Process' column.....

I have an archaic Gateway with only a 2gig drive and 256meg of RAM, so I keep things pretty streamlined.....it does the job for me.  8)

I was online and had FFx & ZA open when I ran that TCPView, I think.....
I'll run it again when I'm shut down to bare essentials...but I'm not really sure how to interpret the results... ???