Author Topic: Ashwebsv.exe "not responding"  (Read 13289 times)

jm1515

Re: Ashwebsv.exe "not responding"-SOLVED (for now)
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 12:34:28 AM »
I noticed in the TCPView log above that Port 135 was being listened to.
Well, after much research here and on the net, I found that an old concern on this forum & on the 'net in general, Windows DCOM Services (RPCss), runs whenever avast! is launched & might be the source of my problems. 
After a little thought, I deleted this exe to see what would happen...
Sure enuf, my 'Ashwebsv Not Responding' issue went away.
I could shutdown normally, and, since I have Win98 where RPC is not mission-critical  to the OS, everything was fine for the few days I ran like this.
The only problem was, as stated here many months ago, the avast! Virus Chest was rendered inoperative. Everything else worked perfectly..
Well, as much as I am impressed by avast!  ;D ,  not having a Virus Chest is NOT an option.
So I 'restored' RPCss back to the system folder and figured I'd live with the shutdown inconvenience.
Funny thing...that was 3 days ago, and I have not had the 'Not responding' problem since..! ??? Avast and Shutdown work perfectly....go figure.....

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Ashwebsv.exe "not responding"
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
What I suspect is a related problem is that most times when I shut down the machine, an alert box will appear telling me that a program is not responding and asking me to either give it more time to shut down (never works) or to end the task immediately.  Ending the task allows machine to shut down normally.

Is there anything specific I should look for in any log files to identify what is causing Ashwebsv to fall over?

Snevouk

Hey all...my first post! ;D

I resuscitated this thread because I have been using A! Home for about 2months now. I use it on my archaic Gateway 2000 with a 200mhz Pentium and Win98SE, fully updated & 256meg RAM, using the latest v of FireFox. I really like the features, compactness and speed of Avast compared to the NAV2002 I had been using.

I am having the exact shutdown problems that Snevouk has....only the shutdown problem, nothing else.

Whenever I hit CTRL_ALT_DELETE, except IMMEDIATELY after loading the browser (but seconds after the very first page loads), the 'Close Program' window tells me that Ashwebsv is 'not responding'.
The WebScanner IS working tho ( I think  ;) ), because I have configured the proxies as instructed, I can see the A-ball rotate when a page loads, as well as check pages scanned and scan count in the On Access Control Center. Go figure.... ???
I'm still using the WebScanner, but this means that EVERY time (in the last month or so) I want to shutdown, I must wait for the dialog window or goto the Close Program window and 'EndTask' for Ashwebsv...then I can shutdown perfectly.

Any insights???

BTW...I installed A! Home at the same time  on my GF's  Athelon-powered pc with Win ME, and her's runs perfectly....

Any light anyone can shed  on this would appreciated...
jm

Resuscitated once again...  ;D ... it seems this is an on going problem... THREE YEARS AFTER THIS POST and with a CLEAN INSTALL of the most current version of Avast 4.8.1335 the problem STILL persists for WIN98/ME users...

What is also interesting is that even with the Web Shield OFF (terminated) I get the same message in the Task Manager and have to "end" the process on shutdown.  It seems it makes no difference whether the Web Shield provider is running or not once the browser is launched Ashwebsv status becomes "not responding".  Turning Web Shield ON/OFF makes no difference but regardless of the "not responding" status the Web Shield does scan web pages based on the scan count growing and the Avast ball spinning.  So it's not really a matter of "not responding" but instead it would seem that it is the "state" that Avast leaves the Ashwebsv process after "polling" the process.  I say "polling" because for a better explanation it would seem to be just checking if the Web Shield is "ON" perhaps because even if the Web Shield is "OFF" the Ashwebsv process changes to "not responding" after an initial boot and the browser is launched for the first time.  Once the Ashwebsv process is in "not responding" status it remains this way up until the computer is shut down and has to be "ended" at shutdown time.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Ashwebsv.exe "not responding"
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »
Are those who have the problem using a dial-up connection?

In my case I HAVE FOUND ONE CONSTANT FACTOR THAT WILL ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM OF THE ASHWEBSV "NOT RESPONDING" STATUS IN THE TASK MANAGER.

If I launch the browser (FF-2) as the first step by clicking on the Firefox icon the dialer is then launched because as dial-up user there is no connection established. VIRTUALLY EVERY TIME I DO THIS THE PROBLEM PERSISTS...

If I dial up the connection FIRST and then launch the browser AFTER the connection is established then THE PROBLEM NEVER HAPPENS.

For more detail see reply #6: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45727.0

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:12:35 AM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.