Author Topic: [Solved]Windows 8.1 desktop hangs after opening drive after boot  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Baz8755

Hi,

I have been battling with a problem for a week or so and have now discovered that Avast appears to be causing the following issue.

I have a new (less than 2 weeks) Lenovo T440s i7 12GB RAM with 512 SSD drive running windows 8.1 which is no slouch.

However, after booting the machine all is well. Until I open a folder by right clicking my computer and opening any drive.
After doing this the desktop will not allow me to highlight any folders or use a context menu for around 10-15 seconds, after which time everything returns to normal and the problem will not re-occur until reboot.

The reason I have just begun to suspect Avast is that when checking IO in task manager I noticed Avast taking the largest amount of IO upon opening the folder. So as a test I have tried booting the machine and disabling all shields before opening the folder, with Avast disabled no delay occurs.

Fast boot is enabled but for a while I was running with it turned off and I am pretty sure the issue was still present then.

Hopefully someone can guide me as to what settings need changing or whether it is a bug that will resolved.

Regards

Baz
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:56:01 AM by Baz8755 »
Windows 8.1, i7 12GB RAM 500GB SSD, Avast Free

Offline Baz8755

Re: Windows 8.1 desktop hangs after opening drive after boot
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »
It's OK. I found the problem.

It would appear the issue was OneDrive, disabled it and all is OK now
Windows 8.1, i7 12GB RAM 500GB SSD, Avast Free

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: [Solved]Windows 8.1 desktop hangs after opening drive after boot
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:03:35 PM »
Glad you found the problem :) 101 views and no replies so it seems the resolution was not going to come from the forum ;)