Author Topic: Will ZoneAlarm conflict with Avast?  (Read 8204 times)

bilnrobn1

Will ZoneAlarm conflict with Avast?
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »
I have just downloaded ZoneAlarm thinking it was just a firewall, but it says it is AV and firewall. Will having the two AVs running cause any problems? I actually just wanted their firewall.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Will ZoneAlarm conflict with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »
You cant have two AV's, even if one is disabled you'll still end up with problems.

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »
You might get it to work . But know that some setting in the default firewalls may create issue's with close ports etc.

AV's are known to sometimes flag on another AV-solution.
Best is to choose just 1.
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »
If you have OS later then XP .... then you have a great firewall integreated in your OS

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:55:53 PM »
You might get it to work . But know that some setting in the default firewalls may create issue's with close ports etc.

AV's are known to sometimes flag on another AV-solution.
Best is to choose just 1.
It may work temporarily but eventually it will conflict.

Ports are the least of concern, system lock is much more to be worried about.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:52:13 PM by Pondus »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »
I have just downloaded ZoneAlarm thinking it was just a firewall, but it says it is AV and firewall. Will having the two AVs running cause any problems? I actually just wanted their firewall.

Download only Firewall free http://www.zonealarm.eu/security/en/trialpay-za-signup.htm (free firewall) ......Select a custom installation and uncheck optional offers   (skip offers button)

You download Zone alarm free + firewall (antivirus y firewall)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:46:43 PM by miguelgrado »

bilnrobn1

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »
Thanks guys, that was very quick and informative.

In answer to Pondus's first post, I have Vista and was relying on the Windows Firewall. I ran LeakTest today and it said it could penetrate the firewall and reach the main GRC.com web server, whatever that is. I figured the Windows firewall wasn't effective and that's why I downloaded ZoneAlarm. Now I've run LeakTest again and it still gives the same "Firewall Penetrated" message, so it seems downloading ZoneAlarm was a dead loss anyway. (I have found I can deactivate the AV section and have done so, but the firewall is active.)

Is that LeakTest report to be taken seriously?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »
Not really since leak tests are made to actually find a leak no matter what.
I use Comodo Firewall w/D+ and all ports stealthed and the leak test still finds a leak.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

bilnrobn1

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 05:52:36 AM »
OK thanks for that. Seems leaktest.exe is pretty useless then if it always reports a leak. I'll ignore it and go back to the Windows firewall and dump ZoneAlarm to avoid any conflicts with Avast.

waking

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 06:20:01 AM »
Seems leaktest.exe is pretty useless then if it always reports a leak. I'll ignore it and go back to the Windows firewall and dump ZoneAlarm to avoid any conflicts with Avast.

One problem with Leak Test is this: Some AV's will check a program for malicious content and if it's OK the AV will pass it off to the firewall. But then the firewall sees the outbound request coming from the AV program which it trusts so it lets it through. The firewall doesn't see which program is initiating the original outbound request so it can't apply its blocking rules to it.

Of course this applies to programs other than Leak Test as well. When an AV says it's Ok and passes it off to the firewall under its own identity, it will go through. Ideally, an AV should hand the outgoing request to the firewall as coming from the original program so the firewall rules can be applied. Otherwise, if you set a firewall rule to always block a particular program that rule won't get enforced as the firewall doesn't "know" that the originating program isn't the AV.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:22:25 AM by waking »

Newport

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:11 AM »
OK thanks for that. Seems leaktest.exe is pretty useless then if it always reports a leak. I'll ignore it and go back to the Windows firewall and dump ZoneAlarm to avoid any conflicts with Avast.

I have both running, Zonealarm outbound firewall and Avast without issues. My router has an internal Firewall and no DMZ so that has never been an issue.

IMO in an OS like Windows 8 where you are essentially treated like a hybrid Tablet user an outbound Firewall has become essential.
Every time you install an app via Store and click the agreement it includes access to both personal data and internet.
Now we find out that the combo of IE + Flash have been a serious leak for years..

You are NOT Paranoid if you are right..