Author Topic: Popup after booting system  (Read 3836 times)

Offline davexnet

• Poster
Popup after booting system
« on: April 30, 2014, 05:40:14 PM »
Hi all,
every so often, a popup appears shortly after system startup, with avast! telling me
about the latest and greatest offering.

If I don't do anything, it stays on the screen for about 30 seconds.
I would like to know if I can reduce the time it's visible, of suppress it
altogether.  This is the kind of thing I mean:

AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Popup after booting system
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 05:49:52 PM »
yes you can adjust popup time..... see under settings button

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »
yes you can adjust popup time..... see under settings button

Do you mean this?  Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?
If it's here, the amount of seconds are already low, but still the popups
that appear after startup are on the screen for 30 seconds...
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
hmmm....maybe these ads are not covered by those settings   :(

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »
It's not a biggie ... it's not that aggressive, I can close it easily - perhaps a reasonable price for the free avast!

However, if I were using the paid version and the same situation existed, I'd be a little unhappy.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »
If you don't want to see the popup..........see screenshot.  Untick Grimefighter. 

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »
If you don't want to see the popup..........see screenshot.  Untick Grimefighter.
I don't have anything in tools at all, it's empty.
This could be because I did a custom install and de-selected everything
except the shields.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »

They aren't they are piggybacked on to the auto update notification popups. When you see one of these promos/ads popups check the update status of avast and you will find it has just been updated.

I don't think that will stop these type of promos as they obviously want you to try GrimeFighter whether or not you have the GF interface installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 08:59:27 PM »

They aren't they are piggybacked on to the auto update notification popups. When you see one of these promos/ads popups check the update status of avast and you will find it has just been updated.

I don't think that will stop these type of promos as they obviously want you to try GrimeFighter whether or not you have the GF interface installed.
I'm not surprised if this is the case.  As I mentioned above, I don't find it too unreasonable while using the free product.

Is Grimefighter just another version of ccleaner, or one of those dubious products similar to the downloads at speedupmypcforfree.com ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
I don't believe it bears any resemblance to what ccleaner does.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 09:11:23 PM »
I don't believe it bears any resemblance to what ccleaner does.
Grimefighter  says this:
"GrimeFighter is PC optimization and cleanup utility designed to remove bloatware and other junk and promises to speed up your computer when you click
'Optimize my PC’ that appears at the bottom on Status window of Avast UI’. "

That sounds very similar to ccleaner.  Is Grimefighter aimed at complete PC novices? 
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 10:13:44 PM »
I honestly don't believe ccleaner is an Optimisation application, just what the ccleaner name was (Cr4pCleaner).

I think the name GrimeFighter doesn't lend itself to what it actually does and makes it looks like various junk/cr4p removers.

Most of these PC Optimisers are aimed at novice users, those who aren't novices are unlikely to even use these tools and many (myself included) consider them of little use (I'm trying to be polite). The thing that I don't like in these tools and GF is that they don't list exactly what it is they have found in detail, nor do they give a check box to exclude the entry from removal.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
I honestly don't believe ccleaner is an Optimisation application, just what the ccleaner name was (Cr4pCleaner).

I think the name GrimeFighter doesn't lend itself to what it actually does and makes it looks like various junk/cr4p removers.

Most of these PC Optimisers are aimed at novice users, those who aren't novices are unlikely to even use these tools and many (myself included) consider them of little use (I'm trying to be polite). The thing that I don't like in these tools and GF is that they don't list exactly what it is they have found in detail, nor do they give a check box to exclude the entry from removal.
DavidR,
this is my point - I can't believe any non-novice user would even install this product, let alone run it and have it perform some mysterious "optimization".
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3