Author Topic: what has happened to avast?  (Read 3454 times)

Spacednow

what has happened to avast?
« on: April 30, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »
 :'( I always used the free version, hated false detections from AVG,  and then there are the Symantec ones that are like a virus themselves. Avast free had a sandbox, then an update made it hard to find, then another removed it from the free version. I always used Comodo free firewall- it had a free sandbox also, although it was somewhat glitchey. Then I decide after all these years to purchase Avast because it had been so great, and now offered a firewall. Got it for 3 computers. It was nothing but a problem. Puts windows firewall in public mode, and no matter what I've tried, it broke my networking between computers. Wasted hours trying to figure out what was wrong and trying different settings. It worked sometimes intermittently. Finally gave up and removed the Avast firewall from all of them, not worth the constant hassle. Then there were the Grime popups, had to remove that also, Now there is a SAFEPRICE POPUP. Damn adware!! Was a good program, simple interface. Now complicated Program interface that has built in adware. Now contemplating just using MS security essentials and doing away with Avast altogether- I can't even figure out how to make it ignore a cmd program I wrote for my own use. It ALWAYS quarantines it without the option to ignore permanently. I'm just at a loss how you've went so wrong with what was a great program. Won't be wasting $ on it again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: what has happened to avast?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:33:46 PM »
No offense, but you didn't had to install GrimeFighter or SafePrice.
If you did a custom install you could have deselected them.
Or after install, removed them.

No, avast has no adware build in.
If you believe safeprice is adware, you don't know what adware is.

The interface is still simple, just renewed because of changes in the application.

As far as the firewall, never use two.
You should have disabled the windows one or not use the avast one.

If it broke your network, why didn't you asked for help here?
I'm sure we would have helped you solving the problem.

Don't use MS security essentials, even MS itself says not to use it.

Spacednow

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »
I did remove them. Searched all over for firewall help. Tried all the suggestions. finally just gave up. The option on install was browser protection that didn't mention anything about safe price being enabled; just seems sneaky. I'm not the only one having doubts now.

Arnold72

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
No offense, but you didn't had to install GrimeFighter or SafePrice.
If you did a custom install you could have deselected them.
Or after install, removed them.

No, avast has no adware build in.
If you believe safeprice is adware, you don't know what adware is.

The interface is still simple, just renewed because of changes in the application.

As far as the firewall, never use two.
You should have disabled the windows one or not use the avast one.

If it broke your network, why didn't you asked for help here?
I'm sure we would have helped you solving the problem.

Don't use MS security essentials, even MS itself says not to use it.

Your statement on mse is totally incorrect.Microsoft have never explicitly said not to use it.