Author Topic: Black screen after login after updating Avast on Windows 8.1  (Read 2067 times)

ebt137

Hi,

I updated Avast when it prompted it a few days ago.  However when I restarted it, after the login screen it just went black and would only show the cursor.  I somehow fumbled my way out of this state by making it go into hibernation (somehow) and thought it was just a fluke.  However last night I restarted and it did the same thing and I was not able to replicate what I did before.  I turned it off and on several times manually (when I tried to shut it down from the login screen it acted like it was going to, turning the lights off the screen, but then did not).  Finally I let it sit on the black screen after login and one of overriding "Do you want to let this program make changes to your computer" prompts came up for Java and after I said yes, the screen came back.

I'm on Windows 8.1 and have the update.  Nothing had changed in my system to my knowledge since the last time I had restarted my computer and it worked to when I updated Avast, and from what I've read it's had a reputation for this problem before.  Any fixes?  Do I have to keep my laptop on forever?

Thanks!