Author Topic: [Bug Report] Avast! Free: on-the-fly detection mismatches manual scan  (Read 3150 times)

robinh3123

Summary:
     The results of on-the-fly detection mismatches the results of manual scan.

Descriptions: Compiling a Hello World C program by GCC/MinGW, cause a virus alert (on-the-fly), and the executable is sent to the Quarantine zone.  However, if the same program scanned by avast again, no virus is detected.

Reproduce:
1) Install Avast! free (on PC, Windows 7)
2) Install MinGW (bash, compiler)
3) Edit a hello world program, call it "1.c":
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
        printf ("Hello world\r\n");
        return 0;
}
4) Edit Makefile (to make things easy):
1.exe: 1.o
        gcc -g $< -o $@

5) type make
[Result 1:  Virus detected by Avast!]

6) Do it again with avast! disabled. (1.exe will be generated)
7) Open a windows explorer, right click on 1.exe, and click on "Scan 1.exe" (by avast!, of course).
[Result 2: No Virus is detected]

Offline jvidal

This isn't news, by any means.
It happens to me all the time. Avast flags a file as some virus, but right clicking and scanning the file doesn't detect anything. I think it's a long standing bug.

robinh3123

Version information:
     Avast! free:  most recent as of 2014/5/2  12:25   (+8:00 timezone)
     MinGW gcc:  4.8.1
    bash:  3.1.17(1)-release
    make:   GNU Make 3.81

Note: bash is to run make,
Note: gcc, bash, and make are installed in MinGW distribution, release-2013-10-04

robinh3123

I don't know it is not new...  However, this is a serious bug.   Consider that if I am building a large software (example OpenCV library), and encounters numerous false alarms...

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
The best way to confirm that this is a long standing bug is by submitting a support ticket to Avast via https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Submit
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

true indian

Is the detection named Evo-gen or FilerepMalware.If so then its deliberately done.These 2 are backend detection tactics used only in on-execution scanning not during manual scans.  ;D

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Is the detection named Evo-gen or FilerepMalware.If so then its deliberately done.These 2 are backend detection tactics used only in on-execution scanning not during manual scans.  ;D
As true indian say..... and none of you give the vital info, what malware name does avast give that detection

Also test the file at www.virustotal.com  ( if tested before, click new scan)  and post link to scan result here