Author Topic: How to I get avast! to be a virus scanner again?  (Read 4859 times)

Alshain01

How to I get avast! to be a virus scanner again?
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:55:58 AM »
I keep getting pop-ups on Amazon telling me it found a better price on eBay.  This is an example of a virus scanner overstepping it bounds.  How do I make it so that I don't see avast unless there is a threat to my computer?  >:(

I switched to avast! when AVG started taking over my web browser's choice of search engine and this crap is coming dangerously close to getting uninstalled too.  Why is it that antivirus companies feel the need to do stuff other than antivirus protection?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to I get avast! to be a virus scanner again?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:26:52 AM »
Disable safeprice.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes

ram1220

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
I keep getting pop-ups on Amazon telling me it found a better price on eBay.  This is an example of a virus scanner overstepping it bounds.  How do I make it so that I don't see avast unless there is a threat to my computer?  >:(

I switched to avast! when AVG started taking over my web browser's choice of search engine and this crap is coming dangerously close to getting uninstalled too.  Why is it that antivirus companies feel the need to do stuff other than antivirus protection?

This is why I uninstalled Avast last week and installed Bitdefender free. BD is great and is what Avast used to be. Started using Avast in version 4. But it has gone the same way AVG did.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 11:30:04 PM »
<snip quote>

This is why I uninstalled Avast last week and installed Bitdefender free. BD is great and is what Avast used to be. Started using Avast in version 4. But it has gone the same way AVG did.

The easy resolution of this was given by essexboy in the post above yours.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ram1220

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:11:40 PM »
<snip quote>

The easy resolution of this was given by essexboy in the post above yours.

And the easier resolution is what I posted. I don't have to deal with the bloat that Avast has become. Well actually I do until I convert the systems I work on over to Bitdefender. Until then I am still here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 10:46:37 PM »
We aren't just responding to your post but to that of the OP and others who may read this topic. It up to him/them to choose what they consider easiest/best option for them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ram1220

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:36:40 PM »
We aren't just responding to your post but to that of the OP and others who may read this topic. It up to him/them to choose what they consider easiest/best option for them.

If that's the case then why did you quote my post only? :)

RevolutionSphere

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 10:47:09 PM »

Just wondering if you're using Bitdefender free, then why do you still use the Avast forums?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 11:36:45 PM »

If that's the case then why did you quote my post only? :)

Because the other quotes in your posts weren't directly related to your comment, which was also off topic to the question asked by the OP.  They were looking for an option to get rid of safe price and that was what he was given.

plsrepli

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:19:02 AM »
I have tried Bit Denfender Free and it is not too bad; however, I dislike the fact that it is always running (eg, doing background scanning) in a never ending loop. Now their paid version uses a later technology (much like Avast Free) and there is no need to constantly scan for malware. In any event, if one does not mind the constant scanning and there is no worry about wear and tear on an SSD (if present), then Bit Defender Free seems to work OK. In summary, Avast Free still get my vote as the best all-around free AV solution!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:20:33 AM by plsrepli »