Author Topic: Version 2014.9.0.2018 Annoying alert message on iPhone 4S  (Read 1752 times)

waqnis

Version 2014.9.0.2018 Annoying alert message on iPhone 4S
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:17:30 AM »

Originally registered for free 20-day trial version. 

Reported problem with ad on tool bar (Grime fighter).  No response received within 20 days.

Decided to stay with the "free" version.

While I no longer see the tool bar, a recorded message arrives on my iPhone between midnight and 4:00 AM
and wakes me up.  It says "Avast date base has been updated". 

1) To the best of my knowledge I didn't register my iPhone with Avast.  Avast was downloaded for a desktop
after Microsoft's decision to discontinue their security program for XP.

2) I keep the iPhone on for emergencies and turning it off for the night is not an option.

Shall be grateful for suggestions and fixes.  I reported this under a support ticket but received no help.

:'(

waqnis

Re: Version 2014.9.0.2018 Annoying alert message on iPhone 4S
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 03:39:39 AM »

Update

I could be wrong, but going through the posts in the forum, make me think that the problem is from my Chrome setting in iPhone.

Due to my failure to prevent it during Avast Setup, Google Chrome became a part of it. Since Chrome remains active in my iPhone that explains the annoying alert about Avast database update.

I can live without Chrome -- activate Safari. 

Or:

Avast-Update-Program

During rebooting during which a Checkbox should appear with a question: Do you want to install Google Chrome?"  Unchecking the box should resolve the issue.

I am going to try it.  If it does not work, I'll remove Avast. Try something else. It is too bad that a reputed
software resorts to sneaky measures to add unwanted features.

The XP desktop is not used much for the Internet.  For that I use a laptop with Windows 7.  Avast is not part of it.

waqnis

Re: Version 2014.9.0.2018 Annoying alert message on iPhone 4S
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 04:16:15 PM »

Removed Avast.  Installed BitDefender.  No more robo calls on the iPhone.

Don't have good feelings about the sneaky way in which Avast inserted the annoying feature.