Author Topic: unable to delete infected mail  (Read 16509 times)

Atoma740

unable to delete infected mail
« on: October 19, 2003, 02:04:14 PM »
when retreiving mail and a infected mail is detected i get the Avast Warning telling me a mail is infected with a virus...so far so good, then when i try to delete the message (tried delete permant or to recycle bin)  i get the following message "Avast' : There are no more Files , cannot proces "email"use this patch immediately ! "From Microsoft <security@microsoft.com>, To <my mailadres> \patch exe\patch.exe" file

Tried to reinstall Avast without results.

Anyone any ideas how to solve this ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:unable to delete infected mail
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 03:53:34 PM »
What mail client are you using? And is this on English or another-language version of Windows?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Atoma740

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 05:14:27 PM »
using Windows Xp home Ed. - dutch
Avast 4.0 - dutch
Outlook Express Dutch

I guess the problems must started after trying some other mail-clients like Mozilla Thunderbird, Foxmail, Eudora, but everything is uninstalled.

in the meanwhile i've set OE als default mail client; maybe that solves the problem.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 05:29:35 PM »
Uhm, avast 4 Dutch?? Where did you get it? It has not been officially released yet!

What version is it, exactly? (see the About box).

Thanks Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Atoma740

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 05:49:49 PM »
oeps Avast 4.0 build Oct2003 (4.1.280) english version of course.

http://users.skynet.be/bk342901/avasterror.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 06:00:30 PM by W4s4bi »

techie101

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2003, 07:57:49 PM »
when retreiving mail and a infected mail is detected i get the Avast Warning telling me a mail is infected with a virus...so far so good/quote]
W4, Did Avast provide the name of the virus?

then when i try to delete the message .........  i get the following message "Avast' : There are no more Files , cannot proces "email"use this patch immediately !
[/color]
Apparently, when you clicked Delete, you had to indicate which email to delete.  In OE, the window will open the message before sending it into the Delete directory .

"From Microsoft <security@microsoft.com>, To <my mailadres> \patch exe\patch.exe" file
This worries me.  Microsoft is not in the habit of emailing users with patches!  There have been phony emails containing the MS header which are actually virus transmissions.

Why did you uninstall Avast?  What AV do you now have installed?

It is most important, that you run a full system scan.
You can use online scanners for now to make sure you system is clear of any and all virii.
(www.panda.com or www.kaspersky.com are 2 that I have used successfully)

techie :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 08:04:37 PM by techie101 »

Atoma740

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003, 08:19:15 PM »
1/ yep avast provides a name for the virus Win32:Dumara-H[Wrm]
2/ i can't see the mail until i ignore to take action on the virus. Then the mail is coming in (uncleaned) and manually have to remove the mail from the inbox.
3/ the mail is not comming from MS itself, like you said, it's always a phony email adress
4/ installed Avast4 again. did a scan of the system and seems to be clean.

I'll try one of those online scanners to get a second opinion.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 06:39:15 AM by W4s4bi »

techie101

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 12:26:36 AM »
W4,

Actually, the correct name is Dumaru.?  (?=various variant designations a/b/c etc.)
It ends processes belonging to antivirus programs, firewalls and system monitoring tools. It drops a backdoor Trojan on the affected computer.

To be sure it has been removed, you can download the free removal tool from Symantec:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

(OR)

the Stinger from McAfee:
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger

then read this article from McAfee.....Sound familiar?
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=helpCenter&hcName=dumaru

Good luck,
techie
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 01:20:00 AM by techie101 »

Atoma740

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 07:30:46 PM »
problem still isn't solved.  >:(

tried stinger from McAfee and the removal tool from Symantec. the system is clean of viruses. Also did a scan with the online scanner from Bitdefender. No virus was found.

Guess i'll have to switch to another virusscanner  :'( (at least until the next reinstall of Xp) Anyone any experience with AVG or Antivir H+BEDV ? Wich one is the most reliable ?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 07:58:22 PM by W4s4bi »

techie101

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 08:17:02 PM »
W4,

What problem are you still having?  I thought you had successfully removed the virus?
If so, wasn't the "alert" the problem?
I am not sure what problem you now want us to solve.  ???

Can you explain?  I'm sure we can help.

As for an anti-virus program, I have found AVG by Grisoft reliable in W98, ME and XP systems.  Its' virus detection rate cannot compare with Avast, but it does have a resident email scanner.  The free version does not have the auto update feature that Avast uses.

You can review Virus Bulletin's data on most anti-virus programs if you wish before selecting www.virusbulletin.com

techie
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 08:21:11 PM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 12:23:35 AM »
when retreiving mail and a infected mail is detected i get the Avast Warning telling me a mail is infected with a virus...so far so good, then when i try to delete the message (tried delete permant or to recycle bin)  i get the following message "Avast' : There are no more Files , cannot proces "email"use this patch immediately ! "From Microsoft <security@microsoft.com>, To <my mailadres> \patch exe\patch.exe" file

avast! have solved your virus infection as I can see...
Remember what techie said, Microsoft does not send email with patches!
This is actually a kind of virus transmission.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Atoma740

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 05:05:51 PM »
Never said i had a virus on the system, the problem is that i can't delete mails that are intercepted with Avast Mail scanner. I took some screenshots so it may be more clearly now where the problem is.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 09:20:24 PM »
Never said i had a virus on the system, the problem is that i can't delete mails that are intercepted with Avast Mail scanner. I took some screenshots so it may be more clearly now where the problem is.

avast! will have the following behavior (depending of your settings):
1. If just the attach is infected, it will be deleted (if you set so) and a not will be posted in the body of the message (see your pictures).
2. If both attach and body are suspiciuos, you will be prompted do delete all the message (body and attach).

If I'm wrong, avast! team will correct me.
In Professional version, this settings could be fully configurated. In Home, some of them are default.  ;)

The best things in life are free.

Lito

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 12:02:11 AM »

That happened to me just a few minutes ago ???, and it was with an email infected with Dumaru-A. When I choose delete, i received the same error message saying "There are no more Files" :(

If anybody wants the file to make tests, I can send it :)

Cheers, and sorry for my bad english.

sedina

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 12:10:07 AM »
Hi guys,
please send problematic e-mails to sedina@asw.cz. I will check it and find where is the problem... One note: do you choose operation on e-mail immediately after the message in shown or there is some time-delay (e.g. 5 minutes)?

thanks!

pavels