Author Topic: unable to delete infected mail  (Read 16459 times)

techie101

Re:unable to delete infected mail
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2003, 12:30:24 AM »
W4,

Thank you for the screenshots, but I do understand your problem.  Certain possiblities exist to explain this behavior:
1.  Avast DID delete the virus successfully.  Avast went after the source....(the attachmentJ), not the message itself.
2.  Avast stopped the download of the portion of the attachment containing the virus itself.

May I ask...Does your email client still show an attachment symbol with the suspect email?

This is just a thought....In Outlook Express you can set OE to PREVENT opening of email containing a potentially dangerous attachment?
Avast will be able to scan it (obviously since it detected it), but may not be able to delete it.  Avast could consider it a passworded/protected file.

Also, when this first occured, did you try to MOVE the virus to the Chest at all?  If so, what happened?

Sorry for the questions, but I am looking for some clues as to what direction to follow next.

Techie ::)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 12:43:04 AM by techie101 »

Lito

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2003, 12:41:25 AM »
One note: do you choose operation on e-mail immediately after the message in shown or there is some time-delay (e.g. 5 minutes)?

thanks!

pavels

I choose the operation immediately after avast! tell me that the message is infected.

Lito.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2003, 12:59:56 PM »
Lito, I have the same trouble of you sometime ago...
It was not a virus, but just a suspicious attach with extension .exe.
It was not infected but I receive a message without the attach.
Few minutes later I receive the entire message. This is why pavels ask you about the delay (I suppose).

Techie is absolutely right... Could you answer his questions?

In Outlook Express you can set OE to PREVENT opening of email containing a potentially dangerous attachment?
Did you try to MOVE the virus to the Chest at all?  If so, what happened?
 ;)
The best things in life are free.

Lito

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2003, 08:47:50 PM »
May I ask...Does your email client still show an attachment symbol with the suspect email?

Yes, and if I open the message I can see the infected attachment. But if I save the eml file and I scan it with ashquick I can delete de infected attachment inside the eml.

This is just a thought....In Outlook Express you can set OE to PREVENT opening of email containing a potentially dangerous attachment?
Avast will be able to scan it (obviously since it detected it), but may not be able to delete it.  Avast could consider it a passworded/protected file.

Also, when this first occured, did you try to MOVE the virus to the Chest at all?  If so, what happened?

I tried to move the virus to the chest and avast said again: "There are no more files". Also I'm not using that option on my OE.

Cheers and thank you to Pavel, techie and technical for their help ;).

techie101

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2003, 09:39:23 PM »
The only other suggestion I have left is for you to go into the Tools/Options/Maintenance.
Use the CleanUP Now button.
This should clear out all downloaded messages from the email client.

Make copies of whatever is important, or copy them to a folder OUTSIDE of the email client.

You may also wish to check "Delete msgs in the Delete
folder upon exit"

Were you at all successful in attempting to delete the message after starting in Safe mode?

Techie
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 09:41:33 PM by techie101 »

Lito

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2003, 11:27:28 PM »
Hi again. Why I would need to do that? The only problem that I have is with the mail scanner that cannot delete the infected attachmet on this specific email; avast! mail scan is still working perfect and also I can delete the file manually but it would be nice if avast could get ride of it itself

Anyway techie, can I send you this problematic file to see if your mail scanner can do something?

Thank you again. Bye.

techie101

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2003, 12:36:49 AM »
Lito,

Send the problematic files to sedina@asw.cz and the file will be examined to see what can be done.

If you still show the "infected" email attachment, clearing the downloaded email should take it out.  That is why I gave you that option.
If you can Delete the msg directly in the email client, then after sending the file, do so.

I just want to get something cleared up.....Its important.
You said the Avast scanner works fine.  But has  Avast deleted other infected files?  or is this the only one which it seemed to have difficulty?

Avast will come up with a solution for this little "bugger".

techie ;D

« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 12:43:31 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2003, 02:15:40 AM »
When retreiving mail and a infected mail is detected i get the Avast Warning telling me a mail is infected with a virus...so far so good, then when i try to delete the message (tried delete permant or to recycle bin)  i get the following message "Avast' : There are no more Files , cannot process "email".
The mail scanner that cannot delete the infected attachmet on this specific email; avast! mail scan is still working perfect and also I can delete the file manually.

Did you send the file to sedina@asw.cz ?
This seems to be a bug...  ;) As I can see from your posted pictures...
Sometimes with eicar.com test files the 'delete' function only works if you send the file to Recycle bin. Maybe the bug prevents the deletion the file because it is in use (by Outlook) but I'm not sure.

Does avast deleted other infected files?, as techie asked you
Did you perform a complet scan in your system after the infection and before the email deletion? What were the results?

Here we need a powerful help, we reach the end of users' knowleadge...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2003, 11:25:54 AM »
All right folks, this was caused by the fact the file was packed by UPX. It should be fixed now.

Watch for the today's update.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Lito

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2003, 12:17:29 PM »
Yep, I sent the file to Pavel :), and he answered me today ;D. He told me the same of Vlk post. You know, avast! support is great :D :D :D :D

Cheers and let's wait for the update.