Author Topic: Avast reinstall Can't connect to internet with 32bit apps & browser Win7 64  (Read 1657 times)

Offline MrToad

I have a vexing problem that started when Avast updated and one of the shields wasn't turned on. I uninstalled & reinstalled avast and eventually uninstalled avast using avast clear...in the process something corrupted my 32-bit connection capabilities so I can't connect with 32-bit browsers and most 32bit apps...Malwarebytes can't reach the update server, but 32bit SuperAntispyware updates fine and 64bit IE and  Waterfox access the web with no problems.
Other aspects of the problem: IE 32bit closes after 10-30 seconds; A cross-network file comparison program reports, "can't initialize windows sockets"
I've already taken most troubleshooting steps..Restore points, DNS, winsock repairs, uninstalling/reinstalling 32bit IE
I'm considering reinstalling avast hoping that might fix what got broke...using windows security essentials in the meantime.
I'm posting this here in case others are having similar problems or might have insight on what 32bit system files could have been corrupted uninstalling avast.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
attach OTL diagnostic log and a log expert will take a look.    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
Hi,

Beside OTL logs I shall require FRST log as well. So, both OTL and FRST logfile post here for analysis.
These logs should tell us from where to start with resolving ...

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool () by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:05:53 PM by magna86 »