Author Topic: Avast Free not blocking sites anymore.  (Read 3437 times)

JakeM77

Avast Free not blocking sites anymore.
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:29:46 AM »
I have been using Avast Web blocking to block flash player from updating itself, Adobe decides to disobey user settings to never update and trys to annoy users with constant updates. I blocked this by blocking the adobe.com domain in Avast and never got updates again. Today the annoying Adobe update screens are back even though I have Adobe set to never update and Avast has the adobe.com domain blocked. I noticed I can surf to adobe.com and so Avast is not blocking anything anymore. I have also tested the web blocker by adding reddit.com and even with it enabled, I can still get to reddit.com from my browser. What gives?

Malacath

Re: Avast Free not blocking sites anymore.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:51:23 PM »
Not sure why you would want to block Flash updates as flash is a major security risk if not kept up to date but I just tested site blocking myself by adding adobe.com to the blocked site list.

The site is blocked. So blocking seems to be working for me.

Maybe you should go to the control panel->Programs and Features->Avast->Uninstall/Change

Then select the repair option to see if it fixes it.

Offline Tcll

• Complexity == fun >:3
Re: Avast Free not blocking sites anymore.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 03:18:27 AM »
if you're worried about being safe on the net, use Comodo Browsers (Dragon/IceDragon).
Dragon is based off Chromium, but is actually given security to the fullest. (Chrome/Chromium security is a joke and is not to be trusted)
IceDragon is based off FireFox, but has much greater security and speed. (FF has better security than Chrome, but I think IE now beats it)

both Dragon and IceDragon offer the same security benefits, use what you like.
as a user for almost 5 months now, I can garuntee this browser works perfectly when it comes to protecting your compy :)
(though I've disabled all cookies and JS (excluding my trusted sites), and installed about 5 extensions for protection)

No modern popular browser can even come close to the browser security of Comodo browsers, so if you want to stay safe, I recommend using them :)

@Avast guys:
if this counts as advertizing, I'm sorry, there isn't much light that comes out of software now-a-days.
I'm not here to mislead people into getting crappy freeware... I've had my compy destroyed enough times thank you.
I only recommend the good stuff that actually works and can be trusted.

there's also the option of you guys catching up to Comodo and offering a full free suite of products that actually work as they're supposed to.
(the only difference is the paid versions of those products are much more convenient and easier to set up)