Author Topic: Avast has gone crazy in windows xp  (Read 1836 times)

newhere22

Avast has gone crazy in windows xp
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
Maybe someone here will know how to explain this:
A few days ago i downloaded a .zip from a website, and when scanning it, avast said "threat detected", so i checked in virustotal and none of the scanners including avast detected anything.
So I looked at what threat it was, and it said "C:\program files\common files\nero\setupx.exe" mal-gen, which is heuristic engine.
Now, in the past i had nero (original) and avast had some false positives with it, but i cleaned it long ago, and besides, i scanned a .zip in my desktop that has nothing to do with that location, i scanned one thing and
the scan result showed a detect in another area in the pc, i looked at the scan history, and it showed "my documents\downloads\file.zip" in the scan title and near that "virus found", when you enter you see "C:\program files\common files\nero\setupx.exe" mal-gen, and green V that it was taken care of.

NOTE: i tried to move the threat to virus chest, but not only that the nero folder doesnt exist in that location, the chest was empty.
If that wasn't wierd enough, i shutted down the pc, came the next day, and there were no scans in avast, only 8pm scans, the virus found scans disappeared from the logs.
So i went to the .zip again, scanned it (it was still there, unopened) and the scanned resulted in "No threat found"

im not crazy, i dont have illusions, wtf just happened, and im not trolling, i swear.

newhere22

Re: Avast has gone crazy in windows xp
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
anyone?
maybe a mod can guess, im clueless about this situation.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast has gone crazy in windows xp
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 04:21:09 PM »
So i went to the .zip again, scanned it (it was still there, unopened) and the scanned resulted in "No threat found"
it may have been a false positive that was fixed when you did the last scan