Author Topic: Outlook/Exchange provider waiting  (Read 8081 times)

Pittsford

Outlook/Exchange provider waiting
« on: November 13, 2003, 04:34:51 PM »
Greetings,

New user of Avast, very impressed so far.  One issue so far:

When I open the Avast! On-access Scanner, the Outlook/Exchange
provider is not running.  I have the following message:

Outlook/Exchange
The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start.

I am running:

Win 2000 Pro
Outlook 2000
POP3 mail - no Exchange Server.

I hope that I am protected by the Internet Mail Provider, but I want to be certain that I am protected from mail viruses.  Is there anything I can do to start up the Outlook provider?

Thanks,

Pitts

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Outlook/Exchange provider waiting
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 04:39:25 PM »
Outlook/Exchange provider is for the full MS Outlook (not Express).
Internet Mail provider is for the Outlook Express (and many others).

So, if you are using Outlook Express, everything is OK. If you have full Outlook, there may be some problem...

You can test your protection by sending yourself the eicar test file (for example): http://www.eicar.org

Pittsford

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 05:33:21 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply!

I am running Outlook 2000 as a POP client, not Outlook Express.  I tried to send myself the Eicar file, but it was blocked by my ISP's mail server.

So I'm not certain that I'm protected by Avast! at this time.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 05:38:22 PM »
Where were you sending Eicar from? I mean - avast! shouldn't allow an "infected" e-mail to be sent - so if you download it and send by e-mail from your Outlook (again to yourself), you should get the virus warning.

Pittsford

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 05:46:29 PM »
I downloaded the Eicar.com file and sent a copy to myself.  Outlook warned me that I was trying to send a potentially dangerous file, but let me do it.  I never heard from Avast! on either end.  The eicar.com.zip file went through without recognition by Outlook or Avast!.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 02:38:06 AM »
I downloaded the Eicar.com file and sent a copy to myself.  Outlook warned me that I was trying to send a potentially dangerous file, but let me do it.  I never heard from Avast! on either end.  The eicar.com.zip file went through without recognition by Outlook or Avast!.

Thanks.

Hmmm... Igor, if the user receive the email without warning something is wrong, isn't it? He uses Outlook (not Express) and the provider is not running as he say in the first post.

Why don´t you try to start the provider (if it is not running...)?
Are you using the Home or the Profesional version?

If the provider is not running and you can send and receive an eicar.com file you are definitively not protected...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Pittsford

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 04:00:30 PM »
Gents,

Several reboots later, I now see an Avast! Outlook/Exchange plug-in screen that displays over the Outlook 2000 splash screen.  That wasn't happening when I first loaded Avast!.  Next time you might want to ask your newbies if they see that happening when they load Outlook.

I now receive the warning dialog when I attempt to send the Eicar_com.zip file.  Excellent....

I'm going to look in to the Professional version.

Thanks, guys for a good product and great support!

Pitts

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 04:46:28 PM »
I'm glad to hear that it works now... even though we don't know what the original problem was. Maybe Outlook needed some time to get used to the new plugin?  ;D

Pittsford

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 05:06:39 PM »
Who knows when you are dealing with Micro$oft's products.  :P  I actually think that there may have been a few McAfee droppings left in there somewhere (since I had difficulty uninstalling it in order to assess Avast!).  

Thanks again!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 02:39:21 AM »
Who knows when you are dealing with Micro$oft's products.  :P  I actually think that there may have been a few McAfee droppings left in there somewhere (since I had difficulty uninstalling it in order to assess Avast!).  

Thanks again!

To get rid from a previous antivirus, maybe you want to use PowerTools. It is a very powerful registry power tools, with lots of extra options. Unfortunately, it´s now a shareware. Other option is Easy Cleaner. Try other links here.  ;)

You said the real truth: with MS we never know...  ;)
We do not ask you about the spash screen over Outlook 2000 because you said Outlook/Exchange: The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start. This was enough for us! Anyway, you are not my newbie because I am another avast! user like you...  ;)
The best things in life are free.