Author Topic: New Avast created network adapters in Device Manager  (Read 9480 times)

Offline forjonny

New Avast created network adapters in Device Manager
« on: December 14, 2013, 07:39:02 PM »
Couldn't get on the Internet today when I updated Avast. My tech guy came over and discovered I had four extra network adapters on my computer in Device Manager. The network adapters that I have are, wireless, Lan, Bluetooth and something called 1394 something.

I now had those four duplicated with the name of Avast Firewall listed with them. So something like this. "Wireless 4938G Avast Firewall"bla, bla, bla" and whatever my Ethernet was called "1234 PCI 10/100 ethernet adapter - Avast Firewall".

These are just examples of course but all my network adapters whatever their name is were duplicated with Avast Firewall added to them. So I had 8 network adapters now.

My tech uninstalled all of the Avast Firewall ones because my Internet would not work. Anyhow they all came back so he uninstalled Avast completely and now I was back to 4 network adapters again.

I was able to get on the Internet again without Avast.

Can someone explain what happened here?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: New Avast created network adapters in Device Manager
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »
What is your operating system

What version of Avast did you have before and after the upgrade ? i.e.  V8 to V9

Offline forjonny

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
Now it's 2014.9 and yes came from V8. Using Windows XP Pro.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 08:50:26 PM »
OK if you have windows 7 or better then do the following

Download Avast Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run the uninstalltool and accept the reboot to safe mode
  • Once complete reboot your system
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

Offline forjonny

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 09:01:59 PM »
Ok, got another one today. They could not get on the Internet after and update from Avast. I went to their house and looked immediately at the network adapters. Sure enough they had three extra network adapters in the Device Manager with the name of Avast + Firewall in their names. I uninstalled Avast and restarted. The computer went right on the Internet immediately. So then I downloaded another Avast AV on their computer and all was good.
Now I installed Avast on their computer in the first place about 1 year ago. Now I am coming back to fix the problem. Wow, Avast is making money for me. Of course I can't tell my customers that. I just said that I fixed their problem, gimme some money. Somehow I don't feel right about this.

I noticed that their Avast at this point was called Avast Internet Security now not just Avast Antivirus.

So why is Avast Internet Security creating virtual firewall network adapters in their Device Manager and killing the Internet?

I mean, this can go on like this, can it?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:43:42 AM by forjonny »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »
Network adapters are virtual devices and mimic the real card as Avast (in XP ) due to the way it tracks/analyses via web shield, needs to be a driver in the middle almost a virtual machine.  Does that make sense ?

With 7 and better there is no requirement to do this due to the architecture

Although there appear to be a lot of problems related to this on the forum, the actual number that experience problems is very small.  But as windows can run any combination of thousands of different programmes there are some systems that will experience problems.   In the small coterie where I have installed Avast none have experienced any problems at from XP to 7.. I have 8.1 and experience nothing major

Offline forjonny

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 12:46:09 AM »
Got another one today. That is two in one week. Read my previous post. I modified that post and put my explanation there. Lemme know what we can do about this Avast Internet Security creating virtual network adapters and killing the Internet.

Most of my computer customers are newbys even if they have had a computer for years.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »
Avast should remove the drivers no longer required during the update process.  However, I have found that a clean install when making such a change is preferable

Offline forjonny

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
Anyhow the many times I installed Avast on computers is a pretty high number. I am creating myself job security because I have to go fix all these computers. Or at least the ones where the newbys are downloading the wrong program. I guess I should thank Avast for screwing up so I can make some money.

Anyhow I have not seen any software in my life that would create network adapters inside of the Device Manager. I have been doing computers since 1996 but even worked on some Windows 3.1 machines. I don't think that's right what Avast is doing and if people figure out that Avast is doing this then they will go with another program for their antivirus.

AVAST- WAKE UP-THE NEWBYS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING SO YOU MUST NOT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING EITHER!

Maybe I will fix more this week and make more money. It's so easy to go uninstall Avast Internet Security and then download Free Avast and make $40. It doesn't look good to Avast though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 05:38:43 PM by forjonny »

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
Umm, Windows XP need those devices. Update to 9.0.2011 in the first place and let us know if you encounter any issues. Do not touch those fake adapters! If you want to disable firewall, either not install it or untick avast! Firewall from real network adapter properties.

Offline forjonny

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
You don't get it do you? All my Windows hardware drivers are there as well as duplicate Avast Network Firewall Adapters. So if I had three network adapters, Bluetooth, Lan ethernet & wireless. I have duplicates. I will not write down the exact names of these adapters but for an example. This is what I have now. Bluetooth then underneath that is bluetooth avast firewall network adapter.
Then lan ethernet avast firewall network adapter.
Then wireless avast firewall network adapter.

That makes six. Count them six. Come on I am not the only one with this issue.

The dumb customer clicked on an the update but they did not pick the basic free Avast antivirus like they should of. They somehow close their eyes and picked Avast Internet Security( probably a trial) and now all the network adapters have Avast network adapters.

I went in and completely uninstalled Avast Internet Security and restarted. Booom the Internet now works!!!! I reinstalled Avast free antivirus and all is good now. $40! - pay up!

Am I repeating myself? Let me go back and look at my other posts. hummmmmmmmmm, Yes I am repeating myself.

Anyhow maybe the men from Mars is doing this to us.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:36:34 PM by forjonny »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »
This is how network filtering is implemented in Windows xp. Every firewall works by attaching to every network adapter in a driver called Ndis intermediate. This allows firewalls to see the packets. These drivers are interpreted by the system as 'virtual' network adapters. This is how it should be.

Of course, the fact that you loose network connection is not intended. I know you had problems in the first place and that's why you start fiddling with this - but removing these in the device  Manager might cause more problems than it solves. You might easily end up with a system where no ndis filters can be ever installed again, not only avast firewall, but also any other 3rd party firewall, vpn client or any other tool that performs network filtering.

We may also be wrong and your technician might have removed them in all the other required places (jn the registry) as well, but simply deleting it from device manager frequently corrupts it. We have seen it many times. That's why in windows7 firewall was redesigned to support the newer API, this Windows xp one is a real pain.

Offline Jaggwire

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
I, too, have this issue, and I am running Windows 7. I PAY for Avast, but it's getting to be more of a resource hog and a headache than a help (the main reason I ran from McAfee several years ago).

Since I renewed my subscription, I've had issue after issue. I teach at a university (but the computers I use are MINE), and I am too busy during the semester to research alternatives. But you can bet (today was the last day of final exams) I will be spending my summer looking for programs that protect my pc without its own ad-ware jumping in ("GrimeFighter"??? What is it with the childish logos and ignorant-sounding script? And why is Avast, without my permission, allowed to pop up ads for its products from within the system tray????)

No longer a happy customer--and I was, for about 6 years.

Trish

Offline Deborah S.

• Avast team
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »
Hi Trish,
I am sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing. Avast is quite lightweight, which is especially useful for people running older machines with Windows XP. You say you are having multiple issues - please contact our support team, https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Submit, to help you with these.

One service that could help is actually GrimeFighter. PCMag.com just ran a review, and stated,

"With its cartoonish minions and colloquial language, you'd never know that avast! GrimeFighter is a sophisticated Linux-based antivirus and optimization tool."

Running this program may help to alleviate some of the issues that develop in an older machine like bloatware, trialware, adware, and other unwanted ‘Grime’ so that your computer is running in its most optimal state. However, if you want to get rid of all GrimeFighter notifications, please open your Avast user dashboard, go to Tools, and open GrimeFigther, you will see a "gear" icon, which leads to settings. In the settings tab, adjust the frequency of the notifications and other parameters. You can also turn off  "always test for grime."

We hope you will reconsider, and stay with avast!
Deborah Salmi
Global Content & Social Media Manager
Avast Software