Author Topic: Avast Online Security addon firefox 29 problem  (Read 4788 times)

xsteveuk

Avast Online Security addon firefox 29 problem
« on: May 09, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »
Hi,

I have been using avast online security addon without any problem using Chrome
I have downloaded firefox 29 and cannot get the avast online security to work at all on the latest version of firefox
Also when using firefox and try install the addon  clicking on the settings links it says cannot be found try again
And when clicking on the button when on a webpage it does not change colour and says unknown site on any webpage
Not sure if it a firefox issue or a problem with avast online security addon with firefox

I have the latest version of avast - avast free :)

Steve
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:19:58 PM by xsteveuk »

Offline havildar

Re: Avast Online Security addon firefox 29 problem
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:43:07 PM »
I'm not sure if this is of any help but I'm using Firefox 29 and Avast Free 2014.9.0.2018. Both are on default settings and appear to be working without any problems.

The only thing that has changed recently is that the Avast Online Security page doesn't automatically appear when Firefox loads. Perhaps it was cancelled by yesterday's upate?

Oops ... spoke too soon! Now, I too am getting 'Unknown Site' from AOS on this webpage!!!!!

Very odd ... now it has gone back to normal again after logging out then logging back in to Avast with a restart of Firefox.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:07:01 PM by havildar »
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

iroc9555

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 12:35:59 AM »
I do not know if this can help you but I was in the same situation when I upgraded FF28 to 29. A black a for AOS icon and the " Option or Setting " site could not be reached. Just a about:blank page.

What I did was to reinstall FF29. Activated AOS first and then reboot the comp, not just FF, but the computer. Now I have my big green a again and I can set it up as I like it.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »
There is a new version 29.01 that fixed all that,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 12:48:23 AM »
Thanks polunus.

Yes I know, but it is not offered in Spanish yet, or at least my FF 29 has not detected it yet, and when I look for it in the FF site, it says I have the latest version available. Waiting for it though.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 01:27:14 AM »
I did not get it automattically, takes considerable time to roll out, but you can force the update from inside the fx settings manually.
.# At the top of the Firefox window click the Firefox button, go over to the Help menu and select About Firefox.At the top of the Firefox window click the Help menu and select About Firefox.Click the menu button New Fx Menu , click help Help-29  and select About Firefox.On the menu bar click the Firefox menu and select About Firefox.
# The About Firefox window will open and Firefox will begin checking for updates and downloading them automatically.

# When the updates are ready to be installed, click Restart to Update.

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

malone.m

surfseek

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »
Please see my thread re the very same issue............http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=150381.0

Firefox 29.01 did not fix the problem, in fact my problem arose when Firefox 29.01 updated from Firefox 29

I'm on windows 7 64bit, Avast free

The only way I could resolve was to roll back to firefox 28.........which worked again perfectly, and then this updated directly to 29.01............

I won't go all into my workarounds here, they are in the link of the thread I posted, which I hope might be useful to people. It is very long winded though, and wanted to comment that though it is thought and said to have been fixed, from my recent experience, it isn't just yet..........

I'm glad more people have posted about this.

Surfseek