Author Topic: Welcome to Avast... as the computer is shutting down.  (Read 9273 times)

1WeirdBug

Welcome to Avast... as the computer is shutting down.
« on: May 14, 2014, 01:02:08 AM »
I've had this happen to me twice recently as I was shutting my laptop down. The 'Welcome to Avast' voice would come on out of nowhere  ???.

My question is this: Anyone else run into this issue?

Note: I've run my anti virus scan and it's come up clean, same with Malwarebyte, Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:21:34 AM by 1WeirdBug »

Offline CraigB

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Welcome to Avast... as the computer is shutting down.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:23:07 AM »
No I haven't heard of that one, sounds like one weird bug ;)

Being that you have Malwarebytes for supplemental scans you could do away with Spybot ( Teatimer incompatible with avast and poor detection ) and SuperAntiSpyware ( only deletes cookies which CCleaner can remove )

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 02:31:59 AM »
Yes, that is a strange one.
We've all heard that announcement when booting up after install or upgrade but not the way the OP describes. ???

1WeirdBug

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
No I haven't heard of that one, sounds like one weird bug ;)

Being that you have Malwarebytes for supplemental scans you could do away with Spybot ( Teatimer incompatible with avast and poor detection ) and SuperAntiSpyware ( only deletes cookies which CCleaner can remove )
Yes it does ;). It doesn't bug me, it's just rather odd tbh.

I won't be doing that since I can't keep Malwarebytes up to date, since I only have the free version. I've haven't run into any incompatibility issues with the programs as of late. As for Teatimer, it seems to play nice so far. I run the programs separately, not at the same time.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:38:34 PM by 1WeirdBug »

1WeirdBug

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 07:38:07 PM »
Yes, that is a strange one.
We've all heard that announcement when booting up after install or upgrade but not the way the OP describes. ???
Same here. It's only happened twice and it made me go  ??? each time. As long as it isn't anything serious, I'm ok with it... but it's still rather strange.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 04:28:51 PM »
Hi,
I've had this happen yesterday. (28th June 2014) I shut down the laptop and while it was on the "shutting down" screen a voice message said "Welcome To Avast" I had not installed a new version, but when I turned the computer back on, after scanning with MalwareBytes, and Windows Defender (the Windows 7 version not the full anti-virus version), I opened Avast and noticed there was a new version of Avast available.
I can't be sure the update notice wasn't there already (I hadn't looked) but I'd not seen any Avast! pop-ups saying a new version is available.

Could the "Welcome To Avast" voice message be related to the new version available notice in the update section of Avast! UI?

Is there a possiblity this voice message on shutdown is caused by malware pretending to be Avast! or a similar type issue?

Windows 7. 64 bit
Avast Free
Avast Version was 2014.9.0.2018 is now 2014.9.0.2021

Thanks

Offline CraigB

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »
I don't know of any malware that replicates the avast voice/sounds and being that you have the new version now as you mentioned then that should be evidence enough that it was related to the new avast install :)

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 08:21:43 PM »
Thank you it's reassuring to know it's unlikely to be malware.

It is strange though, I installed the update this morning, but it was yesterday when the voice message on shut down said "Welcome to Avast".

Does Avast download program updates then notify to install?
If so this might explain why I got the Welcome message before installing the program update.

When the Avast UI says a program update is available, in the update tab, has Avast already downloaded the program update ready to install?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:05:07 AM by Eric66 »

Offline havildar

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
Does anyone have an answer to this one yet?

This 'Welcome to Avast' message has happened to me only once ... yesterday, as Windows 8.1 was shutting down. It doesn't appear to be malware, but disconcerting nonetheless.
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 11:00:16 PM »
Same thing here, good to know they are working on a solution... ::)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 11:16:21 PM »
I won't be doing that since I can't keep Malwarebytes up to date, since I only have the free version.
Sorry, I seem to missing something here ... with the free version of MBAM, all you're missing (that I can remember) is resident protection and the ability to auto-update.  You can still check for and install updates, to both defs and the program itself, manually from MBAM's interface.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »
Avast runs as a system service set to automatic start, probably something silly and simple like the service gets stopped as the shutdown command is sent but it bugs and restarts the service so it triggers the startup sound. nothing to worry about im sure.

Turn on silent gaming mode anyways, that voice almost gives me a heart attack lol.