Author Topic: AVAST & Older computers  (Read 6872 times)

Zorg

AVAST & Older computers
« on: July 15, 2005, 02:40:52 AM »
My 3 year old pc running a little bit slow under AVAST. If I set maximum protection in the Internet Mail and Web Shield modules do I really need maximum protection in the Standard Shield module?

Is it good choice to unchecked some options in the Resident Task Settings (Standard Shield module) to make good compromise between faster running and decent protection? But, what to do?

- Is it necessary that all options in Scanner (Basic) be checked?
- Is it necessary that "Scan files on open" be checked in the Scanner (Advanced)?
- I unchecked some options but nothing was changed, AVAST yet scanned almost every opened/created/modified file?

What to do to make my pc running faster?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:43:57 AM by Zorg »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: AVAST & Older computers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 02:55:03 AM »
If something is needed or not is up to you to decide.
It is your system.

Read the manual to see what each provider does and what the options for each provider do.
Then decide on how to setup Avast to your need.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 01:52:27 PM »
Zorg, it will be a decent protection if you disable scanning files on open/create/modify.
The virus file will 'stay' in your computer but when it tries to run, it will be catched by Standard Shield.
But, with this level of protection, I'll recommend you run on-demand scannings (full, archive files scanning, etc.) at least once a week (at your launch time, for instance)  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Zorg

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 01:27:03 AM »
Thank you Tech for helping me, I really appreciate it.

When I disable scanning on open files and created/modified files my pc runs faster but AVAST still scans on executing every application.

So, I get an idea to unchecked "scan executed programs" in Scanner (Basic) tab of Standard Shield's Resident Tasks Manager and checked only  "scan created/modified files (all files)" in Scanner (Advanced) tab.

Almost identical settings, so called "smart scanning", exist in Dr.Web antivirus as default settings.

What do you think about it? Now AVAST's Standard Shield scans every created/modified file and my pc are very fast. Ofcourse, in Internet Mail and Web Shield module I set maximum protection.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 01:31:21 AM by Zorg »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 03:39:43 PM »
When I disable scanning on open files and created/modified files my pc runs faster but AVAST still scans on executing every application.
So, I get an idea to unchecked "scan executed programs" in Scanner (Basic) tab of Standard Shield's Resident Tasks Manager and checked only  "scan created/modified files (all files)" in Scanner (Advanced) tab.
Please, don't do it this way. You'll get infected if a virus start to run. I know it should be caught when 'created' but the file could be inside a packed archive file, etc. It's not safe this procedure: if a virus file starts to run you won't caught it... It would be too late....
Let avast! scan the executables is my advice. It saved me from viruses a lot of times.
The best things in life are free.

Zorg

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 04:57:57 PM »
OK. Thanks for advice.

Hobbit1

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 08:34:41 PM »
I'm running Avast! home on a 667 MHz emachines PC running Windows ME.  So far, so good-- Avast hasn't slowed anything down that I can see.

gizmo

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 10:28:49 PM »
I'm using a 5+year old 533 MHz Compaq on 98se dial up and Avast! seems to be coping with my almost antique machine and OS and I don't have any noticeable slow down problems. Maybe that's because it was slow to start with!  ::)
I am soon going over to XP and broadband on the same machine and wonder how it will cope then. I'm being encouraged by a friend to go for Norton instead, but wonder how much of an advantage this will be.  ???
I'm a very uninformed and unadventurous computer user.

MFB

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 10:32:07 PM »
I'm using a 5+year old 533 MHz Compaq on 98se dial up and Avast! seems to be coping with my almost antique machine and OS and I don't have any noticeable slow down problems. Maybe that's because it was slow to start with!  ::)
I am soon going over to XP and broadband on the same machine and wonder how it will cope then. I'm being encouraged by a friend to go for Norton instead, but wonder how much of an advantage this will be.  ???
I'm a very uninformed and unadventurous computer user.

5 year old PC?  Wow, I suggest not follow your friend's idea of going to norton cause they can take alot of RAM from your PC.  You seem to have the same old computer such as mine but mine is at least ten years old with alot of issues, I change from Windows 98 SE with dail-up to Windows XP with DSL.  Try avast! home edition, it's free and safe for your PC to enjoy.  I also recommend to upgrade your HD and RAM to suit your PC's needs.   :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 10:48:43 PM »
Without a doubt stick with avast, especially since you aren't experiencing any problems or slowdown. However as and when you do switch to XP you will need to uninstall, boot and install avast again to work with the new OS.

If there is a slowdown in XP it may not be avast related as XP requires more RAM, etc. You really need to investigate if your 5 year old system is compatible with XP there may be some hardware that either needs driver updates, etc. Some of your software may also not be compatible with XP.

When I first update from win98se to XP Pro, I ran a MS XP upgrade compatibility program (I'm not sure if this is still available) and that told me things like my scanner and printer weren't compatible and would require driver updates for XP, some other software had to be run in compatibility mode. So the upshot is this is not a simple exercise and you should prepare or it could lead to headaches.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gizmo

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 11:28:45 PM »
I did have a memory upgrade to a 20 Gb hard drive and 384 RAM 4 years ago so that maybe makes a difference.  ::)
I'm happy with Avast! so maybe I ought to be trying to persuade my friend to change, but he's a Norton fan.  ;)