Author Topic: Oleaut32.dll update  (Read 6248 times)

joburg

Oleaut32.dll update
« on: July 12, 2005, 06:58:20 PM »
Due to a change to a file oleaut32.dll I’m having problems. Since Avast updated this file today, 13:59, I can no longer use the ‘find’ option on a web page and also many links no longer active from an open web page. What can I do to resolve this matter? I’m on Win98SE.
I’m sure Avast made this change/update for a good reason but now IE rather lame.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Oleaut32.dll update
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 07:20:49 PM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

If that does not help, can you search the board for OLEAUT32.DLL ?
Maybe you find some answers ::)
The best things in life are free.

joburg

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 10:40:44 PM »
Thanks Tech, I tried it now (repair) and it mentioned that it was ‘successfully updated’, took about 4 seconds. It did not have any effect on my problem though.

I’m sure this change/update of OLEAUT32.DLL was done intentionally by Avast? I see this info via my firewall application and always approve it as soon as I see Avast.
“Application has changed since the last time you opened it, process id: 4294305889.
Filename: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup
The change was allowed by user.”

Also did the search as you suggested but no luck, obviously I cannot go to any MS hyperlinks as they are all dead.
Most of them refer to (I do not want to mention any nasty words) N****n, but that prog has never and will never be on my comper.

Is there any way of checking which version of OLEAUT32.DLL I actually should have on my PC?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 10:42:49 PM »
Also did the search as you suggested but no luck
So, Google will do it...

Is there any way of checking which version of OLEAUT32.DLL I actually should have on my PC?
Search the file, right click it and see the properties...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

joburg

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 12:40:24 PM »
Hi Tech, I always use Google first before I go the forum of a specific prog. Should I find an answer that matches my problem 101% I then apply it. Avast is too much an important prog on my comper to do trial-and-error solutions. But in this case I just had to. Found a whole bunch of ‘repair’ progs and just selected one, mcrepair.exe.
After making a backup of the original/latest OLEAUT32.DLL I ran the prog and selected only this dll file to be replaced. Previous version (Avast) 3.50.5016.0 and now replaced with version 2.40.4515. Now it is fine.
But I really hate to do such modifications, I’ve now undone an update made by Avast? They know what they are doing and I just follow. Have I now lowered my security risk, left a hole?

I can see which version of OLEAUT32.DLL I’m using but my question is which I should have? There are hundreds of different versions available for downloading.
dll-files.com offers v 2.40.4518, dlldump.com offers v 5.1.2600.2180, another site v 2.40.4514 and so it goes. MS says extract it from yr original CD.
May I use any version of this dll as long as I’m happy or should I stick to the version Avast installed?

joburg

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 05:20:39 PM »
Hi Tech, just to close off this thread - I received info (via mesich.com) that v 2.40.4518 is the correct version for IE 6 with or without SP1. Obtained it from www.dll-files.com and installed, v 3.50.5016.0 belongs to WinXP SP1.
Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 06:23:15 PM »
Just FYI, I see no way for avast to change this file... You can check the file <avast>\setup\setup.log for a very comprehensive list of all modifications done by the setup/updater - but I really doubt oleaut32.dll will be listed...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

joburg

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 01:23:41 AM »
Thanks Vlk, I checked and found no reference at all. Not long after I changed this dll I again received a similar warning/request from my firewall. It specifically mentions Avast:

“Application has changed since the last time you opened it, process id: 4294237987
Filename: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup
The change was allowed by user.
---- Modules changed: 1 ----
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEAUT32.DLL
---- New modules: 0 ----”

I now back traced it - 66.98.172.73  rs18avast.com - gets to me via 14 hops. ‘Everyones Internet, Inc. Housten’ mentioned a few times. I’m lost here!

Somehow something or somebody is keeping a check. I just accepted it as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. :-)