Author Topic: New and Confused  (Read 13538 times)

darrell,j

New and Confused
« on: July 15, 2005, 01:08:03 PM »
Hello All, am new here, found about the forum in the FAQ's--this is my dilemma::
I have the latest avast home edition, and I done everything that was described in the 15 pages of posts (fixed my virus chest errors) Blessings to all on that, but nothing would work on the skins, still not listed in skins list, have tried the double clicking,   manually moving the to the folder, re-booting, etc., everything you suggested, as well as all the other suggestions--when I double click, all I get:: is open with, even tried that:: nothing.....
Have been using this wonderful product for quite some time and, just found the skins-WooHoo ;D ::)........
Have downloaded several, and none work in any way that I have tried......Any help would be Greatly appreciated (I'm probably missing something) LoL  ::) ::)
My wife (beth) gets a kick out of "most" of the eye changes I make.....LoL  :o :o     
Blessings to All
I suppose this a tired topic, from all the reading    :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: New and Confused
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 01:21:34 PM »
For almost all skins (file extension .aswcs):
1) download it
2) double click on the downloaded file

for the others (file extension .zip):
1) download the skin
2) extract the files in it
3) double click on the file .aswcs

galooma

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 01:35:03 PM »
Can you describe the GUI that you are currently using as you may not have skins enabled .
If you wanna check left click A ball and hit settings , in the lower half of page there is a box to check to enable skins.
good luck  :)

darrell,j

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 02:26:52 PM »
Thank You  :)
alienator_by_szcraftec-C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Skin  there are a several of these, and the rest are-----
ASWS--except for flat screen, which is nothing I guess, and they are all in that location above also, have tried that several times, spent about 7 hrs. reading and trying, before posting........ ???

Also checked the settings through settings, and also through the fix procedure, which fixed my virus chest problem, which I was going to post else where, but found it in with the files on skins, again my gratitude for that, also have been studying up on computers for a long while now, and just recently came across this GUI thing, so I need more info. (I thought it to be cache)                                   Thank You
Blessings  ;D
Ps:: have re- downloaded avast, if I need to go that route, which I hope not--truly LoL

psss::we have windows 98 SE, video driver is a RagePro turbo plus

pssss::  we have several other programs with changeable skins, but so far this is the only one we're having trouble with
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:33:43 PM by darrell,j »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 05:28:26 PM »
So, when you open the skin selection dialog in avast! SImple User Interface - what do you see there?

darrell,j

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 01:49:50 AM »
I see 5 out of 13, and they are::blue panel, shadow fist, silver panel, scz-kde, and teak zeppelin, which are .asws-and the others, that are not shown are snake, strike, and vizer-.aswf; and 3 from szcraftec-icars, alienator, and black vibe, and one UN-known-flat screen, and the asws-low res; would think the last one would show for sure.........
Would like to get a bunch, and put it on random, just to see how that would work, till I settle on one (or my wife does) LoL  :)
since finding skins on some other programs also, been trying to check them  all, maybe as the season dies down for me, I think I'll try making some, and hope I don't pick an UN-friendly program to play with LoL  :o ??? ::) I sincerely appreciate all of your help here, as I couldn't find that specific issue, which makes me wonder???
Have searched with spybot and ad aware-nothing, and avast keeps finding the slammer, usually 2 or 3 times a scan; don't know how it gets by, and its usually found in my firewalls raw log, which avast was able to quarantine, until the last 2 times he had to delete it on re-boot--ooops-seem to have drifted way off  ::).....Ok, anyways, Blessings to All for Your Help  :) ;D :)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 02:17:33 AM »
OK, now try to concentrate on questions they have asked...

For the beginning choose PROGRAM SETTINGS... from the little icon in the system tray by right clicking it and choosing the appropriate option.

When new window opens, most likely you'll see COMMON tab is already activated. Make sure options ENABLE SKINS FOR SIMPLE USER INTERFACE and ENABLE SKINS FOR EXPLORER EXTENSION are checkmarked (selected).

Post a screenshot, so we all can see how your avast! program console looks like. That will give us a better picture what's going on on your side...

Do you get any error messages from avast! when you enter Windows ?
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

darrell,j

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 12:47:03 PM »
attachment a little while to get the attatchment small enough, hope it's legible-LoL  :o............(2.3megs-28K)(trial and error-mostly error) LoL  ::) lost my favorite paint program when the other computer crashed, so I'm learning new  :)(probably did it the hard way though-using mail)  :)
Yes, that was one of the first things that I did, because the I.E. box was not checked, I figured I would try it along with the other, and see-no help, and the only error at all, from avast::is the virus chest, which came back again, which I will work on, but, I do not believe that-that is a related issue for this post, and probably belongs else where; still learning the forum do's and dont's-LoL  ???......
Also tried un-checking everything, and re-starting; then re-checking and re-starting, still no help...Ok, I nattered enough......
Again, our sincerest gratitude for the help (this one I can't figure out)  ::) :'( ::)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 03:53:11 PM »
Ok, now I really can't figure out what's your problem here. As far as I can see, your skin is enabled and working without any problems.

You mentioned this:
...when I double click, all I get:: is open with...

That tells me that you're not doing something properly. There is no chance you can get "OPEN WITH..." option if you are properly choosing the skins from avast! program... and btw, that's the only proper way of choosing skins.

Click on avast! MENU, or Right-click somewhere on the skin until you get drop-down menu. Then chose SELECT SKIN... option.

New window "CHOOSE SKIN" will open. Now, there is nothing like double-click in there. That function works only in Windows Explorer or similar file browsers. You don't need them now... You get it ? Ok, let's go back to "CHOOSE SKIN" window... Just click once at the desired skin name and skin will automatically install itself at the place of the current one.

Again, from your screenshot, all I can see is that skins are enabled on your side and everything works properly. Now open that "CHOOSE SKIN" window like I told you to do, and make another screenshot, so we all can see what's inside your skins directory.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
Ok, now I really can't figure out what's your problem here. As far as I can see, your skin is enabled and working without any problems.
Me too, seems to be working... What's the problem?  ??? ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 06:14:56 PM »
I have seen the Open With when downloading skins at the avast site, there is a file association for .asws (or aswf, can't remember) and one of the avast files to install the skin I believe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 06:30:52 PM »
Exactly David, that's true... but now I'm even more confused... does he speaks about installing skins from the web site or from avast! skins subfolder ?

If he uses IE, then he shouldn't have any problems installing skins from the avast! web site... just click and go. If not, even easier... DO NOT choose OPEN WITH... instead, choose SAVE AS...

He can save compressed file (ASWCS file extension) wherever he wants... it can be any temporary folder on his HD. Then, he just have to find that file where he saved it, and doubleclick it. It will autoinstall itself right into default avast! skins directory, but now under ASWS extension (decompressed) ... here is the path:

c:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Skin\

Cheers!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 09:12:13 PM »
I guess we will need more feedback as to exactly how he is trying to download/install a skin.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

darrell,j

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 05:44:11 PM »
Ok, here is the best I can do, a little choppy, but I think you will get the picture............
You will notice the desktop icon, and what happens when I double click it, that particular file is also in the skins folder, and it does the same thing; I just re-downloaded it and tried again, and this what happened; I very well may be doing something wrong, but I sure can't figure it, as I am following al the directions that I read first, in 15 some pages, and also what you are telling me here, and I will probaly feel like a total butt if it does turn out that I am missing something here, that's why I researced first-but hey :-\..I'm foulable-LoL  :o
Anyways, I am truly grateful to you all for your time and effort in your replies, as they have been much more than I expected from  experiences else where-you are truly a great bunch of people!!!!
Blessings.................. :) :) :) ooops, don't know how it came out that big, wish I could've previewed first, if it's possible, I can take it out-LoL  :o (I see how below)(definitely clearer) WoW
Ps::also want to add, that I have dowloaded it to every where it should go, and even tried moving it manually....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 06:16:56 PM by darrell,j »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
aswf files are not skins, these are fonts... Anyway, you're not supposed to GO directly to the Skins folder - use the Skin browser built in avast instead...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.