Author Topic: New and Confused  (Read 13545 times)

darrell,j

Re: New and Confused
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 06:21:08 PM »
Isn't that what is shown here with only 5 entries ???......
Ok, how do I know which ones are user friendly, as they are listed in the downloads for skins..and to what apps. may they be used???
Thank You :) :) not all asws

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You 
alienator_by_szcraftec-C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Skin  there are a several of these, and the rest are-----
ASWS--except for flat screen, which is nothing I guess, and they are all in that location above also, have tried that several times, spent about 7 hrs. reading and trying, before posting........
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 06:25:35 PM by darrell,j »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 06:28:31 PM »
You can just take a look at those icons... icons with "a" inside shows you skins... all other have nothing to do with skins itself... actually, those are some fonts that most likely Martin used in his skins, but you do not click on those files...

Also, just like Vlk said... do not go into folder on your local hd itself... do it from web site:

http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html

Click on desired skin name and it will autoinstall itself automatically... no need to "dig" around through local folders on your HD.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 06:30:50 PM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

darrell,j

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 06:53:35 PM »
Ok, on the screen shot you will see alienator, which I down loaded from Avast, and this screen shot is a picture of what happened when I double clicked on the icon, and the rest of the picture was to illustrate just where all the files are, and was also requested; I also edited, but will say here that alienator is the one I have been working with mostly, but have tried them all, as in downloading them to the desk top and double clicking, moving them from desk top to skins folder, and downloading them directly to the skins folder; no matter where it goes, I get the open with, on them all, and they are not all asws files, it's probably something simple, I suppose, since it is not a widely addressed subject, but I am just truly in the dark as to what it may be, that is why I am asking the experts; to which I will usually drive myself and my wife nuts trying to figure this stuff out, but am learning to be humble and not obsessed with doing it my way, but still put an extra effort to make sure that I at least spend some time researching first...
Blessings to All  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 07:00:08 AM by darrell,j »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 10:43:31 PM »
OK, I know eaxctly what happened... you downloaded Alienator (btw, my dearest baby) from the web site directly to your desktop. I really have no clue why that happened in the first place. When you normally click the name of the skin in skins download section on avast! official web site, skin auto-installs itself and your current skin is immediately replaced with the new one you just downloaded.

However, in your case, skin went to your desktop.

The other problem is, on your desktop, Alienator skin is saved in it's compressed state (ASWCS). ASWCS file type must be associated with ashSimpl.exe file from avast4 folder. If it's not associated with it, then you will always get OPEN WITH... Your OS simply doesn't know which application to use to open that file. If you know how to associate file type with certain application, this is the path for the executable file from avast! folder:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe

So, to resume... Files with .ASWCS file extension at the end of the file, must be associated with ashSimpl.exe file.

Now, I have a question for you... when you go to avast! official web site, and to skins download section, is there any chance you don't have to save that skin to desktop or it always saves it to the desktop ? Normally, as soon as you click that file (DO NOT use right mouse button, you should click the name of the skin you want to download using left mouse button)

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

darrell,j

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 09:25:20 AM »
The answer to your question is that I can download it to any where, and I was left clicking, although some one suggested other ways, to which I tried; although, my blessings to you, as you turned on a light bulb in this sometimes dim mind, and I would like to humbly report the error of my ways; Ok, I went to down load again and noticed this time that it was saving it as a file type, and the only other option was: all types (no dice), sooo, now I'm thinking;             Ok, here it is:: I have Avast in my favorites, which is where I was going to the site from, and I would like to report, that this is not a good idea, and remembered seeing a link for more skins in the Avast skins folder, to which I clicked, and it opened internet explorer (which I try not to use-too slow) anyways, I learned a hard valuable lesson here:: sometimes you just have to use I.E., as it downloaded it to a temp. file, which automatically opens the file into the Avast skin folder (need to get back to my military attitude, and pay closer Attn. to detail)..........
I learned computers in the commodore days, and have been working for about 2 years on new wave, and am still pretty ignorant-Huh  :-\.......So to make a long story short::Avast skins can only be downloaded from I.E..........Lesson learned-check for links first, and go where they take you (And Stay)!!!!!!!!
I knew it was here--and I TRULY-TRULY want to extend my deepest gratitude for your support--I guess someone had to do it first LoL  ::) ::) ::) Ok, here it is----Sincerest Blessings and Gratitude
Was also able to get the RPC server to work again for the virus chest........Looking forward to more posting (intelligently I hope) LoL  :) :) :)..........................Thank You Again
Also, should I leave the pics in here??????EXCELLENT SKINS
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 10:50:29 AM by darrell,j »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 01:25:25 PM »
OK, I'm glad we finally solved your problems with downloading skins, but you should have said you are not using IE as your default Internet browser. Situation is a little bit different with, for example, Firefox... I don't recall you ever mentioned which browser you use, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, we all thought that by OPEN WITH... you are refering that you tried to open those skin files within Windows Explorer, Total Commander or any other file manager. Since I don't use Firefox that much (IE is my default one, and it's much, much faster on my machine than Firefox, even when it comes to opening itself... naturally it's the default OS'es browser and it's built in), I had no clue that Firefox is not going to install that skin automatically for you... I just checked and assured myself that it's true.

However, this is great example that Alwil should do something regarding this... maybe we can't call it an issue, but sure, some different way of approaching to installing of avast! skins would be very welcome... these days, more and more people uses some other browser than IE, and many of them are new users, unfamiliar with "new" technologies and "complicated" ways of doing something that should be very easy... just like in IE.... Click on skin name, and boom... skin is installed and ready to go.

Isn't there any other way to make downloading and auto-installing of skins possible, when it comes to Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape/Opera/Whatever engine based browsers ?

Darrell,j wrote:
Also, should I leave the pics in here???
@Darrell,j - Just leave them, no harm at all. In the future you can use one of those free services out there, and upload your pics somewhere else, then just recall them by just putting a link to the picture inside your post. That way, pictures will stay somewhere else, not on Alwil's server. For example, I use ImageShack - Link:

http://www.imageshack.us

Upload your picture from your HD, and then you'll get few links... read carefully and see which one suits you best, then use it in these forums...
I personally use DIRECT LINK TO IMAGE, copy the whole line, and put it inside IMG tags when you post... Then, you'll get this:

Source code for that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/2543/imageshack8he.png[/img]
Darrell,j wrote:
...EXCELLENT SKINS

Thanks for your opinion !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 01:29:39 PM by sZc »

darrell,j

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 02:00:39 PM »
Quick one before work, blessings for the link, will check it out; and I go to Web sites using AoHell, which seems to be getting more un-friendly by the day, but some of the features are cool, so I'm looking for one similar, and again I thank you people for your Superior work here--CHEERS and DOUBLE CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darrell,j

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2005, 12:41:24 AM »
Well, I am on a roll here, I believe we figured out how the slammer was getting by avast, even though he picked it up on the scan, well, I remembered the day we downloaded it, and we got a kick out of him spinning around all the time, well, as I watched, he did no spinning at all, even though the on access was on, yes, as you probably guessed by now, the generators were not running, to which, they are now in the persist mode, in hopes that how ever this happened, won't happen again......
Now were both watching, to try and figure it out........
Blessings to All :) ;D :)