Author Topic: latest version of Avast Free no green ticks in IE11 or Firefox 29.01?  (Read 12789 times)

surfseek

Hi,

I hope someone can help.........

I recently installed AVAST FREE version 2014.9.0.2018..........

I have installed and enabled the Avast! Browser security and web rep plug in extension in Firefox 29.01 and IE11 (Windows 7).....

I'm not seeing any green ticks (that I have had with other versions of Avast)?

I have tried disabling and re-enabling the extension but still no joy.

Are the green ticks still meant to work in this version?

I find them very useful and reassuring and wondering what might be up, or whether they exist anymore?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Have you looked in the Browser Protection ( AOS ) settings to see if that feature is activated ? click on the green icon and open settings.

Kesetyan

Surfseek,

I had a similar problem which Craig helped me resolve.  In my case, the issue proved to be with Firefox rather than Avast. I did a complete uninstall of Firefox (including my profile and all settings using Revo Uninstaller - I then reinstalled Firefox but had to redo all my personal settings (fortunately I had a backup of these from an earlier version of Firefox so was able to import them).  If you do try this, you will need to remove the Avast Browser Protection, reboot your system and then reinstall it.

surfseek

Hi Craig B

Where would I find these settings please?

I have searched for them but cannot find.

The only option I have seems to be disable or enable..........no settings to change?

I wasn't expecting a reply so soon!

Thank you

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
In the IE browser ( not sure about Firefox ) there should be a green icon at top right next to the home button, click on the icon and a side panel should open with some information and a settings tab at the bottom, click on the settings tab to get to enabled or disabled features.

If you don't have the green icon at the top of the browser then I'd suggest an uninstall and reinstall of AOS via the change option when you click to uninstall avast.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:31:08 PM by CraigB »

surfseek

In the IE browser ( not sure about Firefox ) there should be a green icon at top right next to the home button, click on the icon and a side panel should open with some information and a settings tab at the bottom, click on the settings tab to get to enabled or disabled features.

If you don't have the green icon at the top of the browser then I'd suggest an uninstall and reinstall of AOS via the change option when you click to uninstall avast.

Surfseek,

I had a similar problem which Craig helped me resolve.  In my case, the issue proved to be with Firefox rather than Avast. I did a complete uninstall of Firefox (including my profile and all settings using Revo Uninstaller - I then reinstalled Firefox but had to redo all my personal settings (fortunately I had a backup of these from an earlier version of Firefox so was able to import them).  If you do try this, you will need to remove the Avast Browser Protection, reboot your system and then reinstall it.

Thank you for replying Kesetyan,

Weirdly I have just opened IE11 and they are working in there now........(very strange, as this is the first time since installing)

I hear what you say about completely uninstalling firefox....................I have done two resets already for firefox, wondering whether it was Firefox that was the problem..........

I will wait to see if Craig can help re trying to find the settings, and if no joy I will try a firefox uninstall

Thank you so much.

surfseek

Craig B,

The icon in firefox is greyed out............when I click on it, yes there is an option for settings..........but this is what I get when I do this in the address bar

chrome://wrc/content/options.html

and a blank page!

I do not have Google Chrome installed!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
And what about IE?

Also make sure you have done at least two reboots after installing avast if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:45:48 PM by CraigB »

surfseek

IE11 seems to be good ............the icon is green and the ticks are appearing now

Its just firefox that it is greyed out and I get this chrome address and a blank page when I click on settings?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Also make sure you have done at least two reboots after installing avast if you haven't already, this helps sometime for all features to sync correctly and possibly a few restarts of your browsers after enabling AOS.

surfseek

Craig B,

i have done several reboots already, but I will do a few more.............

If this doesn't work should I do as ketesyan suggests re uninstalling Firefox :(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
If this doesn't work should I do as ketesyan suggests re uninstalling Firefox :(
I don't really have any experience with Firefox but if Kesetyan reckons that's what worked for him then possibly try that, you could also wait and see if other Firefox users on the forum have any ideas that may help.

surfseek

Unfortunately, through trying to uninstall firefox completely with revo uninstaller I ended up with the trovi browser hijacker.............

I have been able to sort this out with a system restore, thankfully, and scanned and removed all the offending entries with Malwarebytes and all is now clear.

I have since reinstalled and uninstalled firefox and again reinstalled............(not using revo)

I have also uninstalled avast and reinstalled.............

I am still having the exact same problem

The icon for the avast extension in firefox is greyed out............when I click on it, yes there is an option for settings..........but this is still what I get when I do this, in the address bar

chrome://wrc/content/options.html

and a blank page!

I do not have Google Chrome installed, but the settings tab is sending me here for some reason  :(

When I installed Avast I unticked the options for google chrome and for it to be my default browser..........

I have tried everything my end now..............

Thanks for all your help so far, and I really hope to get to the bottom of this somehow

Could it be a glitch within the latest Avast program?

surfseek

After having read around on these forums and tried absolutely everything, I took the advice of one of the threads I read and have installed an older version of firefox version 28...............the green ticks are back on this version, on my laptop running Windows 7 Professional

However

On my other computer (PC) running Windows XP with firefox 29.01 the avast extension functions normally, with green ticks and all

So...................Just wondering, Is this a Windows 7 professional compatibility problem with the Avast extension in firefox 29.01?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Uninstalling Firefox does not automatically remove your Firefox profile.  There is likely something in that profile that prevents AOS from working.  You can keep your current profile while checking out a new profile.  See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows.  If it works there without any extensions or other files added to the profile, you can migrate your important files from the current profile to the new one.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner