Author Topic: avast Free disabled itself once in a while  (Read 2310 times)

sluk

avast Free disabled itself once in a while
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:32:56 AM »
Under Windows 7 64bit, this happened once in a few days and a program repair / system reboot (click "Resolve All" won't help) usually fixed the problem.  When this happened avast completely disabled itself and pop up with the following:

Any idea why this happen from time to time... avast don't have such issue on my other machine which is running Windows 7 32bit.

avast version 2014.9.0.2018 and a few previous version also affected.

Regards,
Samson
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 04:35:17 AM by sluk »

iroc9555

Re: avast Free disabled itself once in a while
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:50:13 AM »
Did you run the removal tool for whatever AV you had before avast! ? What was it ?
What other security programs do you have right now running in your comp ?

sluk

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:56:25 AM »
I don't have any other AV before, avast Free is the only AV program that I use since OS install.

Right now, no other security issue beside avast disable itself once in a few reboot.

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
Install from scratch:

1.) Download and save to your desktop avastclear.exe

2.) Download and save a fresh copy of Avast!.

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

3.) Open Avast! > Settings > Troubleshooting > Uncheck " Enable Avast! self-defense module ".

4.) Uninstall Avast! normally through Control Panel > Programs & feature. Reboot. If you can not complete this step, continue with step # 5   

5.) Even if you were able to uninstall Avast! in step # 4, it is important to run avastclear.exe in Safe Mode

How to use avastclear: http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB10#idt_02

NOTE: When executing avastclear, it will ask to be run in safe Mode so follow instructions.

6.) Reinstall fresh copy of Avast! and reboot.

Be aware. Avast! will offer Chrome during installment. Remember to opt-out if you do not want it.

After avast! is installed, run a full system scan. If avast! finds something and asks to run a boot scan don't. Report here what was found by avast!