Author Topic: windows 8.1 "please wait" lock screen after installation of avast premium  (Read 3767 times)

ginganinja

Good day,

After spending several minutes browsing your forums I've come to the conclusion that I seem to be the only person in the world with this problem. What's happened is the following.
I installed and purchased avast premium tonight. Upon installing the file onto my windows 8.1 OS, I was asked to reboot the system. After doing so, I encountered a blue windows screen politely telling me to please wait. About an hour later I realized that nothing else had happened. I investigated the matter and found that it's a common windows 8 problem when it encounters a third party user antivirus program (thank you microsoft). I tried to follow their steps to rectify it but eventually had to reboot my system to a previous 'restore' point just before installing avast.
Now, my questions:
1) Now that I've paid for avast, can i simply download it again to this pc?
2) If anybody else has encountered this problem, how did you fix it?
3) If it can't be fixed is there a way to et my money back. With all due respect, premium's expensive. Worth it. but expensive and utterly useless if I can't use it on my windows.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
1. Yes....

Did you remove your old AV before installing avast?

If not go to www.avast.com > support > FAQ .... search for    third party removal    follow instructions

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:41:35 PM by Pondus »

ginganinja

I did yes. I'll tell you what I did in the meantime. I still have this problem.

I performed a system restore to the point of just before I uninstalled the previous AV. It was Mcaffee that came with the computer. I uninstalled mcaffee again, and installed avast without activating my copy. Restarted it, everything still worked fine. Then, I reactivated my premium with my license, performed the update and after I rebooted the computer as requested by the program, I once again encountered the 'please wait' screen. a

Any advice?

ginganinja

Ok, I've managed to get it sort of sorted.
If anybody runs into this problem, and you're stuck on the blue screen just type the following:

Windows key + R

type:

taskkill /f /im restoreoptin.exe

Press enter.  It stops with whatever Windows 8.1 is busy with at that moment with the blue screen. It's not an indefinitive cure, but it allows you to work on your computer until it decides to throw the problem again.

Thanks for the other advice

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Thank you for sharing this information.

Just one question.
Are you using OneDrive (used to be called SkyDrive), or do you have it enabled?