Author Topic: Problem with starting the program  (Read 7043 times)

Vane

Problem with starting the program
« on: July 11, 2005, 01:48:48 PM »
Hello....I have problem with starting avast home.So if you know how to fix the problem pls. help.I have downloaded program from avast.com.Finished instalcion normally and restarted the computer.Now the problem is that when I start avast the program shows me a message"Storage cannot be created for the Splash task....Then I click OK and program shows me a message "Configuration is not loaded properly.Error:dbsCreateObject....So that is the problem....

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Problem with starting the program
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 02:08:11 PM »
Open avast4.ini
Look for a line saying "Database=ODBC"
Change that to "Database=XML"

Let us know if that solved the problem.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 02:43:33 PM »
Or, if you are using the latest version (4.6.691), just right click the avast tray icon, select Program Settings, switch to the Troubleshooting page and check the "Use XML Storage" box.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Vane

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 10:06:01 PM »
Thanks guys I have solved the problem....

emsierra

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 11:49:39 PM »
I'm having the same problem starting up avast (i just downloaded it) but when I right-click the tray icon and try  to open the program settings option nothing happens, I cant see the trobleshooting page! Can anyone help?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 12:42:38 AM »
Are you sure you can't see this?

If not you probably don't have the latest version of avast 4.6.691, do a manual program update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

emsierra

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 12:53:06 AM »
I just did the manual update even though I just downloaded avast for the first time,  and can't see the truble shooting page you sent (I right clicked the tray icon, clicked prgram settings... and nothing)

I'm using IE6,  XP SP2, avast! 4.6 home edition

thnx.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 01:16:55 AM »
What do you mean nothing?
No Trobuleshooting section or nothing at all?
Does about avast! show the version as 4.6.691?
Did you reboot after the program update?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

emsierra

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 01:31:30 AM »
When I right click the blue icon in the tray I can see different options ("On-access protection control", "start avast! antivirus", "avast! log viewer", "program settings...", "updating", "set/change password" etc)
but when I click the "program settings..." option, nothing at all happens,  I can't see the trouble shooting section you describe above.
No other section, page, anything appears, I can only see the section that opened after right clicking the blue button, I don't have any problem opening the other options described in the parenthesis above, just the  "program settings..." one.

Avast! does show the version as 4.6.691 (build Jul2005), Xtreme toolkit version 1.9.4.0, activeskin version 4.2.7.3

I did restart the computer after dowloading, then after registering and also after updating the program.

Any ideas? I'm not having any other problems with my computer, besides the fact that outlook is not running properly, but I thing that's another post. LOL!

joooo

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 02:22:03 AM »
Avast delay very to start, will be that if I to place in the way standard it is faster?

emsierra

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 02:41:34 AM »
I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that...

Are you asking if avast gets delayed at start up? If so, I don't have any problems starting the computer (avast starts automatically and imediatley) but I can't run the program because storage cannot be created for the splash task, aditionally since I downloaded avast all my incoming email (OE 6) is received as a text attachment in the notepad! It's frustrating and I haven't found the solution to any of the two problems described.

:-\

XP Pro SP2,  IE 6, Avast 4.6.691 Home, OE 6

MFB

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 07:22:24 AM »
emsierra, can you try this:

Click My Computers>click Local Disk>click Program Files>click Alwil Software>click Avast4>click Data> click avast4 configuration settings

Once you click on configuration settings, find Database by scrolling down and once you find it, delete ODBC and type in XML, save it then restart your PC.  Did that work?   :-\
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 07:26:53 AM by FIXER »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 02:05:11 PM »
Fixers manual edit of the avast4.ini file should resolve the problem starting the program.
However, you should resolve the Program Settings issue to as this is a very important element of avast.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, avast! Anti-Virus, Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

emsierra

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 06:54:34 PM »
Fixer:

It did work!!! I'll be eternally grateful.
And now I'm able to open the program settings option.

I couldn't fix the problem with OE6 (all the incoming mail is received as text attachment in notepad) but I really don't care anymore hahaha, I switched to outlook 2003 and everything is working perfectly, incoming mail appears ok now.

Thnx again!