Author Topic: Probleme with Sygate Firewall  (Read 17446 times)

paraglandeur

Probleme with Sygate Firewall
« on: July 16, 2005, 04:20:02 AM »
HI, i run Avast since a few months and every thing was good.
Last day, avast upgrade to a new version, and now my Sygate Personal Firewall is warning every 30 seconds !!!!

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro V 5.5
Avast V 4.6 Edition Familiale ( v 4.6.691)

programm causing probleme : Avast4\Setup\avast.setup

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Probleme with Sygate Firewall
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 04:26:32 AM »
Give avast.setup permanant access in your firewall settings and the problem should be solved.

paraglandeur

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 09:56:45 AM »
 ??? mmmmmmmmmm
Do you really think i don't do that before posting ?

If you carefully read my message, i say that i am using avast since a few months without any problem

The only change is a new avast version automaticaly installed during an update (with a reboot request from avast engine)

Jarmo P

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 10:14:05 AM »
I have Avast updated to latest program version and get no repeating prompts from Sygate.
The automatic updates are working.

I use free Sygate 5.5.2710 firewall.

I have no idea why you should be getting SPF permission prompts for programs if you have allowed or blocked them permanently.
Only if they have 'Ask' permission.

chris18

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 12:05:21 PM »
If you look at the post I made just before you this morning you will see that I have the same problem again. I've also added links to my posts following earlier updates. You might want to take a look, hopefully they will help you.

It seems that with some systems Sygate doesn't like the fact that the avast.setup file is not a permanent file but another file that is renamed to avast.setup just for updating then reverts to the original.

I'm working my way through my previous posts to see if I can remember what I did last time to resolve the problem. I have avast! setup to ask when a virus database update is available and have set Sygate so that avast.setup is a client. This is as per Jarmo P advice which you will find if you look through my Update Problems....again post.

At the moment I am not being plagued by requests from Sygate and I made the change about two hours ago and have done a reboot as well.

As Jarmo P will know this problem has also been discussed at some length on the Sygate forum but there has never been a satisfactory answer. Some people don't have any trouble other get it all the time!!

This apparent incompatability between avast! and Syagate is the only thing that might cause me at some stage to change to another anti-virus program although if the client setting I've made in Sygate gets around it then I will stick with avast! as I think it's a really good piece of software.

Hope this helps.

Jarmo P

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 01:02:05 PM »
I have also allowed only client right to:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup
, but i have set in on 'Allow' so I get automatic updates working.

I don't know why some user's are reporting problems about autoupdating avast antivirus database?
Maybe from Sygate Applications window better sort applications by 'Path' and see if any other Avast services are blocked? Just an idea.

chris18

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 01:57:38 PM »
I seem to have hijacked this topic, apologies but it is addressing the same issue.

After about three hours I got a prompt from Sygate to allow avast.setup to access download?. I gave permission and checked the always remember this box.

I then got a series of prompts so I decided to remove the avast.setup from Sygate and the next prompt I just gave permission but didn't checked the always remember this box. This stopped the prompts.

A short time later I did the !AVS Update from avast! and again just gave a one of permission. The update proceeded as expected and then reported the virus database up to date.

From this it looks as if on my system at least giving Allow privilege in Sygate to avast.setup causes continuous prompts.

Now monitoring system to see what happens next time I get update prompt.

Will report back.

Jarmo P

My Sygate client setting is exactly as you gave in my posts earlier this year.

How do you sort Sygate applications by path??

It is certainly strange, and very frustrating for those affected, that some systems just won't let the avast automatic updates work. In theopry it should all work the same on every machine.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 01:59:28 PM by chris18 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 02:13:35 PM »
From this it looks as if on my system at least giving Allow privilege in Sygate to avast.setup causes continuous prompts.

The avast.setup file even with SPF allow (and always remember, etc.) could still be picked up by SPF because avast.setup may be different from the last time you gave permission. The contents of the file may have changed (the download IPs to spread the server load, etc.) so this may trigger the changed application check, so SPF would ask.

I don't know how SPFs outbound access works is there not an always trust or similar to add avast.setup to? I haven't had any prompts for some time with avast.setup with Outpost Pro as it is in my Trusted Applications List.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jarmo P

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »
How do you sort Sygate applications by path??

Because the Sygate Application dialog is so tiny and not resizable, the buttons 'File Name' and 'Path' and maybe 'Access' too are helping how to find all the files.

In particular 'Path' is the one to use with many applications that have many exe's and others accessing internet, like Avast has.
The applications location folder sorting helps to find them all.

chris18

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 10:05:53 AM »

The applications location folder sorting helps to find them all.

Sorry but don't understand what you are saying, how do you sort the applications location folder??

The avast.setup file even with SPF allow (and always remember, etc.) could still be picked up by SPF because avast.setup may be different from the last time you gave permission. The contents of the file may have changed (the download IPs to spread the server load, etc.) so this may trigger the changed application check, so SPF would ask.

I don't know how SPFs outbound access works is there not an always trust or similar to add avast.setup to? I haven't had any prompts for some time with avast.setup with Outpost Pro as it is in my Trusted Applications List.

I think you could be right because each time avast.setup tries an update it goes to a different download number.

I don't know if it is possible to add avast.setup to a "Trusted Applications List" in SPF, perhaps Jarmo P could help on this as I think he is more experienced with SPF than I am.

Since I changed avast to prompt for virus database updates and deleted it from SPF it seems to work better. This morning when I started my PC I got an avast  prompt from SPF to connect ( I assume avast checks whenever Windows is started) and gave authority without checking the Always Remember My Answer Box. I then got a green prompt from avast that there was a new virus database available and clicked that, this then gave a prompt from SPF and again I said yes without checking the Always box and the update went ahead no problems.

I assume the first prompt was avast checking for an update and the second was the actual updating process.

It's now about an hour and a half since then and no more prompts from SPF so it looks as if they way I have it setup works OK. Not exactly how I had it before but I can live with it until someone can come up with a better solution. Just hope there aren't too many program updates for avast!!!!!

Would be interested to know if the original poster of this thread  paraglandeur has been following the thread and whether he/she has made any changes and what has happened?

paraglandeur

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 10:26:01 AM »
Yes chris18, i'm following the thread - because i don't fing any solution to my problem :(
The only solution i found is to make manual updates. And oddly, Sygate don't report any problem !!! I don't understand  ???

I think you are wright when you say that "avast.setup file is not a permanent file". It seems to be the only reason for Sygate to popup an alarm. Perhaps Manual Update don't use the same procedure ?

I say it again : this probleme occure only with the new avast version. This is not a Sygate problem (Sygate is working fine with ALL my others programms (Web servers, FTP servers, Instant messengers, games, and so on). So Avast have to correct the updater code witch seems to be insane.

PS : excuse my poor english language, i am French  ;)

chris18

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 01:57:55 PM »
Yes chris18, i'm following the thread -  And oddly, Sygate don't report any problem !!! I don't understand  ???

I say it again : this probleme occure only with the new avast version. This is not a Sygate problem (Sygate is working fine with ALL my others programms (Web servers, FTP servers, Instant messengers, games, and so on). So Avast have to correct the updater code which seems to be insane.

PS : excuse my poor english language, i am French  ;)

Glad to see you are following the thread (I've edited your reply), no problems with the English!

If you set your system up as I have done so that Avast is set for manual updates and you only allow Sygate to give access on demand i.e Don't check the Always Allow button you should find this works OK, it certainly is on my system.

Other than the fact that you will have to allow access for avast.setup when prompted by Sygate this is like automatic updates.

As for why this has happened since you upgraded I don't think you will find an answer. If you read the posts I made earlier this year you will see that for me the problem arose after I updated to v4.6.623 but eventually I got everything working OK.

Now I have the same problem again but I'm reluctant to uninstall both Sygate and avast! in order to try and resolve it.

The avast.setup is a temporary file made by renaming another permanent file (I don't recall now what file gets renamed to produce it) and it is this that causes the problem with Sygate on a lot of systems. The Sygate forum has a number of posts from people with similar problems and there isn't a satisfactory answer.

As you correctly say it isn't a Sygate problem as such, it's just the way the two programs interact and unless avast! can come up with a reason/solution then I'm afraid it's something you have to accept. Either that or change your anti-virus or firewall.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 08:09:47 PM »
 :) Are you all discussing Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 or 5.6 !?
    And is there a difference of what version of Sygate one
    has on their computer !? Perhaps the "Act As Server"
    setting has something to do with the various problems !?

chris18

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 09:23:53 AM »
:) Are you all discussing Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 or 5.6 !?
    And is there a difference of what version of Sygate one
    has on their computer !? Perhaps the "Act As Server"
    setting has something to do with the various problems !?

In my case I'm using SPF 5.5 Build 2577.

In post on the Sygate forum there was a suggestion that the Ant-Hijacking Application option in Sygate could be the problem becuase it sees the rename of avast.setup as it trying to hijack another avast! application but this was not proved.

Rather foolishly I tried an experiment by uninstalling avast! completely and then doing a fresh install of the latest version. If I set avast! to either manual of Ask for updates and answer Yes to the Sygate prompts (I don't have avast!.setup in my list of pplications) the updates times out with the termination disconnected (Sygate clearly isn't allowing avast! to connect)  so I'm now left with having to access the avast site to download the VPS file...I'm not a very happy bunny.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 02:24:20 PM »
What happens when you do a manual update?
Since avast.setup isn't in the applications list, it should ask what to do (prompts) what did you choose?
Can you not add the avast.setup to the applications list manually by typing in the full path to where it would be when created C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security