Author Topic: Probleme with Sygate Firewall  (Read 17449 times)

Nicolas

Re: Probleme with Sygate Firewall
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 03:51:31 PM »
HI, i run Avast since a few months and every thing was good.
Last day, avast upgrade to a new version, and now my Sygate Personal Firewall is warning every 30 seconds !!!!

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro V 5.5
Avast V 4.6 Edition Familiale ( v 4.6.691)

programm causing probleme : Avast4\Setup\avast.setup

Using Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6, profile nr. 4.0.2 and latest Avast on Win2k Pro:
No problems at all.

Allow the "ash" components and everything should be ok.
If Avast has changed, for instance by upgrading, a Sygate pop-up screen should appear, warning that specific changes have been detected and asking for a decision whether these should be allowed.

Jarmo P

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 09:25:47 PM »
I don't know what is wrong with paraglandeur and chris.
Sure you have upgraded Avast to latest version using an administrator user account?

You can delete all the files in Sygate referring to Avast programs and build a new by allowing all that gets asked (with remember my answer).
Path-button helps to find them all.

I was thinking that if you have that 'setup.ovr' file in Sygate applications list, try deleting it at least.
I don't have it, but it has been mentioned in the past with Avast automatic updates, not just with Sygate but with ZA too.
Only Avast avast.setup needs to be in the list and allowed for the VPS updates to work automatically.

Program updates should not be automatic, since you need to run with an admistrator user account to upgrade.

chris18

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 12:16:34 PM »
What happens when you do a manual update?
Since avast.setup isn't in the applications list, it should ask what to do (prompts) what did you choose?
Can you not add the avast.setup to the applications list manually by typing in the full path to where it would be when created C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup?

As was said in Alice in Wonderland...curiouser and curiouser.

I have avast! Update Basic set to Ask When Update Available for virus update and Manual for program.

I do not have an entry in the Sygate Applications List for avast.setup all I have is

avast! antivirus service
avast! e-Mail Scanner Service
avast! Service GUI component
avast! Web Scanner

On the last three restarts, either from cold or reboot, I have had a prompt from Sygate to allow avast.setup to access the download server ( assume it's checking if an update is available). By clicking Yes the prompt has gone away, I have then received the green pop-up message from avast! to say a virus update is available and if I click that then Sygate prompts me again, I click Yes and the update goes ahead OK ( if there is no newer update I don't of course get the green pop-up).

If I go into avast! and click Update now for the virus database then Sygate prompts, I click Yes and the update process again runs OK.

So for some reason the two applications have settled down now and I have semi automatic updates.

My next task is to set avast! to automatic virus update and see how Sygate reacts. If that still works then I can either click the Sygate option to allow permanent access to avast.setup and see what happens or leave access manual.

Why the system has settled I have no idea but I am beginning to think more and more that it is the Allow permanent access part of Sygate is key to the problem.

I don't know what is wrong with paraglandeur and chris.
Sure you have upgraded Avast to latest version using an administrator user account?

You can delete all the files in Sygate referring to Avast programs and build a new by allowing all that gets asked (with remember my answer).
Path-button helps to find them all.

I was thinking that if you have that 'setup.ovr' file in Sygate applications list, try deleting it at least.
I don't have it, but it has been mentioned in the past with Avast automatic updates, not just with Sygate but with ZA too.
Only Avast avast.setup needs to be in the list and allowed for the VPS updates to work automatically.

Program updates should not be automatic, since you need to run with an admistrator user account to upgrade.

Hi, I am the sole user so have Administrator rights, can't answer for paraglandeur.

Using Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6, profile nr. 4.0.2 and latest Avast on Win2k Pro:
No problems at all.

Allow the "ash" components and everything should be ok.
If Avast has changed, for instance by upgrading, a Sygate pop-up screen should appear, warning that specific changes have been detected and asking for a decision whether these should be allowed.

Didn't get any such warning from Sygate as I recall.

paraglandeur

If you are still monitoring, and having problems, can you set your avast! and Sygate the same as mine and report back on what happens?

paraglandeur

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 02:34:20 PM »
 :) I find a solution :
I manually desinstall Avast, download the latest programm version from avast dowload page, and everything works well now !!!

This idea comes to me because i just re-install a WinXP on a friend's computer, with the latest avast and the same Sygate version than mine. And everything works like a charm. So i decide to deinstall / reinstall avast on my own computer.

I just enter the same serial (no need to register twice)

I don't have any explaination about the origin of the problem. Perhaps the automatic upgrade don't modify some files...
Hope this help  :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 02:39:48 PM by paraglandeur »

chris18

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 02:51:51 PM »
:) I find a solution :
I manually desinstall Avast, download the latest programm version from avast dowload page, and everything works well now !!!

This idea comes to me because i just re-install a WinXP on a friend's computer, with the latest avast and the same Sygate version than mine. And everything works like a charm. So i decide to deinstall / reinstall avast on my own computer.

I just enter the same serial (no need to register twice)

I don't have any explaination about the origin of the problem. Perhaps the automatic upgrade don't modify some files...
Hope this help  :P

Glad to hear it's all working. I've been going through a similar process (uninstall/install) with both avast! & Sygate and at the moment they both seem to be working OK.

It does look as if just updating avast! is likely to cause a problem, but not to everyone, but just why this should be is known only to your computer!!

The fact that the version of avast! you, and I had before worked OK with Sygate which had not been updated, suggests that the update process, which I think I'm correct in saying only updates certain parts of the program, not everything, confuses Sygate in some way.

Just remember what you did the next time you have an avast! program update. to carry out

Good luck

paraglandeur

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 03:09:57 PM »
Hi chris18,

we are not alone with this problem : today, i just have a phone call from a friend of me about the sames facts. His computer is quite old (a Packard Bell with Win98), so WinXP is not faulty. Since the program was automaticaly upgraded , sygate complains.

I think desinstallation / reinstallation is the good choice.

Avast's programmers have work  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2005, 03:33:43 PM »
I and many other have no problem with our firewalls and avast after an avast update whereas some people with sygate are, now does that sound like a problem with avast or a problem with sygate?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chris18

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 11:09:43 AM »
I and many other have no problem with our firewalls and avast after an avast update whereas some people with sygate are, now does that sound like a problem with avast or a problem with sygate?

Just to close this off, I have just carried out the same upgrade on my wife's machine (see also has SPF) using the update feature in avast! and everything is working fine. This time I did get the prompt from Sygate that avast had changed which I don't remember getting on my own PC (the significance of this didn't register at the time). 

I'm not convinced it's a "problem" necessarily with either package, just one of those quirky things that happens otherwise why is all OK on some machines but not others.

gtaillandier

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 09:32:48 PM »
Here is my configuration :
- SPF free 5.6 french version ( build 2808 )
- avast! version 4.6.691 ( french edition ).

In my applications list, I have 5 entries for avast :

- avast! antivirus service
- avast! e-Mail Scanner Service
- avast! service GUI component
- avast! Web scanner
- C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup

All these applications are allowed to act as client as well as to act as server.

Avast! is configured for automatic update ; I just have a message from SPF when avast program has been updated. When I try a manual update, no message from SPF.

chris18

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 09:37:44 AM »
Here is my configuration :
- SPF free 5.6 french version ( build 2808 )
- avast! version 4.6.691 ( french edition ).

In my applications list, I have 5 entries for avast :

- avast! antivirus service
- avast! e-Mail Scanner Service
- avast! service GUI component
- avast! Web scanner
- C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup

All these applications are allowed to act as client as well as to act as server.

Avast! is configured for automatic update ; I just have a message from SPF when avast program has been updated. When I try a manual update, no message from SPF.

Thanks for the info.

For the last 48 hours avast! & Sygate have been performing OK so whatever my problem was seems now to have been "cured".

Interesting comment about no message from SPF when using manual update.

I will check my setting against what you've said if I get any problems.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 07:55:59 PM »
 :)  Sygate's "Act As Server" setting :

I would recommend to both of you that you search this
     forum for my & Jarmo P postings on the issue of using
     Sygate's "Act As Server" settings for any of Avast items;
     I believe Jarmo P recommends that NONE of the 5 Avast
     items should have "Act As Server" checked in Sygate's
     "Applications > Advanced" settings. Would recommend you
      read up on that particular topic on the Sygate forums.