Author Topic: Malwarebytes 2 - Yes, No or Maybe ???  (Read 19151 times)

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Malwarebytes 2 - Yes, No or Maybe ???
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
Malwarebytes 2.0.2.1012 stable release, "note" if you were already running 2.0.2.1012 beta there is no need to update. https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s=84137aeece61e58f8a77640685f055ad&showtopic=149022
I'll continue to use version 1.75. I hate version 2.0. UI is horrible,scan is too slow.Obviously beta testers were fanboys.I am  looking for alternatives.
That's your opinion ::)  it's far superior in every aspect imo :) Please complain elsewhere as this isn't a discussion thread, and your Softpedia review is several versions outdated.

I own the paid version and have to agree with abruptum about not being all that thrilled with version 2.
Version 2 of Malwarebytes isn't as convenient to use v1.75. Seems much slower and more bloated.
Although I paid for the product, I still have my eyes open for an alternative to Malwarebytes.
All this despite the fact that at this time, it's still one of the programs I recommend to all those attending
the presentations I do for avast!. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

iroc9555

Re: Malwarebytes 2 - Yes, No or Maybe ???
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
Like Bob I am also a bit skeptical about MBAM 2.

It is spending more resources in my system and mbam.exe does not unload memory after updates.
It is not as easy as before to copy the scan result txt to attach to a forum.
I can also see an empty window when turnning off the computer ( seems this is fixed in the new version )
The scan are a bit tricky. If you choose to scan from the big green box in UI " Scan NOW ", it scan for rootkits, but if you run Threat Scan it dos not look for rootkits.
The alerts go crazy when detecting something. I got it set it out for 5 sec, but the same alert can pop-up even 10 times in a row.
Time schedule for running scans is not as accurate as before.

Well these are all glitches that bother me and since I am still running XP so not big deal. I just hope it protects me better than 1.75.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:05:59 PM by iroc9555 »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »
I have used MBAM v2.0 since beta testing. There seem to be a few glitches to be worked out.
In fact MBAM is currently beta testing again. I'm not beta testing this time around.

Rootkit scan can be disabled via the GUI.
Scan run times are different than on v1.75 due to fact that MBAM seems to do more thorough scans.
Personally I prefer v2.0 over v1.75 because the detection rate appears to be higher (my experience).
If you pay attention successive pop-ups are due to different detections on a webpage.
I haven't had any issues saving the scan results to a "text file" which can be opened in a word processor
like LibreOffice or Kingsoft Office Free. High CPU usage was present in the beta but was fixed in the final release.

Bottom line, I'd go with MBAM v2.0.  :)

edit: Real time detection in MBAM Premium v2.0 is more sensitive than before.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:29:50 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »
Not impressed with MBAM 2.0 on my win7 netbook as I have had to stop the scheduled scan as the window for scan settings isn't expandable. Nor does it have scroll bars, focus on buttons or hot buttons. I can't change any of the Advanced settings because once expanded, you can't access the OK button to confirm changes.

I have never been particularly about looks, but this UI is less about aesthetics and more about functionality/intuitive. This UI is a pain to find things, yes it has some wrinkles, changing the scan names confuses the issue further as the equivalent Quick scan, is much slower.

Its really is work in progress, but I'm in no rush.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 06:43:32 PM »
Besides the early beta versions I've not had an issue with any of the later builds, resource usage was reduced by 2/3rd's on win8 and I find the UI much more visually appealing ( not that it matters ) and for me I think the UI is easily navigated.

Scan times have also been reduced since the last 2 beta versions and my Threat scans are only seconds apart from what I was achieving with 1.75 and this is with Rootkit scanning enabled, Maybe my more favourable experience concerning performance is due to better system spec's than some others but in saying that I also run MBAM 2 on two other average to low spec win8 and win7 systems as well with no problems.

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 06:46:42 PM »
I have only ever used the free version and am doing the same with v2. The UI took a bit of getting used to and I don't like how quick scan has been replaced by Threat Scan which is much slower. However, since I only use it when I think there may be a need or to do occasional checkups, I can live with it.

There is one thing that I'm sure most people already know of but I'll say it anyway. The MBAM on demand scan will go much faster if you temporarily disable your primary AV scanner. If you leave it on, everything gets scanned by both programs and slows down the process.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:49:53 PM by Dch48 »

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 06:52:27 PM »
I don't like how quick scan has been replaced by Threat Scan which is much slower.
Actually Quick Scan was replaced by Hyper scan but free users don't have access to that option.

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:07:16 PM »
I don't like how quick scan has been replaced by Threat Scan which is much slower.
Actually Quick Scan was replaced by Hyper scan but free users don't have access to that option.
Not really since if you read what Hyperscan does, it's not nearly as much as the old Quick Scan.

I just checked for updates and didn't get the new version yet. It will probably come within the next day or two.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:08:54 PM by Dch48 »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »
I found the "threat scan" is more thorough than the old "quick scan".

David I'm not sure as to what you mean by "scan settings" not being expandable?  ???
I have no problem with any screen on my laptop.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »
See image1 when you try to edit the Scan settings for a Scheduled scan the window that opens, hasn't got any Minimise, Maximise options, nor can the window be dragged to reduce or expand that window.

See image2 when you use the Advanced button it expands the window, but again there are still no user control over the size.

Having clicked the Advanced button in my win7 netbook it exceeds the screen size and there is no bloody way to resize it to bring it into view to be able to OK any changes made.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
I see what you mean. The advanced settings (screenshot #2) barely fits in my laptop.
That's not a big deal for me since I never schedule MBAM scans. Out of habit I run
an MBAM scan soon after my weekly scheduled avast quick scan is finished.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
David have you mentioned this on the MBAM forums? that's clearly an issue that requires fixing and adding some options for those with smaller screens.

I have it installed on a friends Surface Pro which has no issues with screen size but being it's 1920 x 1080 resolution the UI is much smaller and accessible.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
I see what you mean. The advanced settings (screenshot #2) barely fits in my laptop.
That's not a big deal for me since I never schedule MBAM scans. Out of habit I run
an MBAM scan soon after my weekly scheduled avast quick scan is finished.

It doesn't fit in mine (1024x600), that's the problem, I don't want to scan archives (total waste of time). I can't change the defaults (includes scanning archives), so no option but to abandon the scheduled scan.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »
David have you mentioned this on the MBAM forums? that's clearly an issue that requires fixing and adding some options for those with smaller screens.

I have it installed on a friends Surface Pro which has no issues with screen size but being it's 1920 x 1080 resolution the UI is much smaller and accessible.

No I haven't bothered. Outside of reporting FPs in their forum I haven't had a great deal of joy on other issues.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »
quote.  CraigB
i posted a link to this topic in mbam forum so guess it will be seen.    ;)