Author Topic: Firewall advice and Avast phone support  (Read 1816 times)

abetterlife

Firewall advice and Avast phone support
« on: May 21, 2014, 11:51:42 PM »
I am using XP, and following the demise of support for XP decided to install Avast Free plus Comod firewall witht the hope that this might be a tighter setup than continuing with MS Security Essentials (I realise that support for this is to continue for another year). My PC now has some kind of redirect malware which redirects to canadaalltax.com on occasions. So I called Avast phone support. The guy told me that I should not have comodo installed as this will fight with Avast, and has led to a security breach. I let him login remotely to my PC, and he diagnosed that I need a MS engineer ... at great cost bla blah. My questions are
1. Does Vast free require a firewall ? the support guy said I should not use one.
2. I f I do need one (Home PC, broadband router / plusnet), which free firealls are going to be most compatible?
3. Are Avast support really part of Avast? I ask because i have read things on here about "third party support" - and the tel no I called was listed in the supprt page of my Avast installation... I really got a bad feeling about what this guy was saying.. it seemed like heavy sell and somehow not trustworthy. In fact, I am wondering whether the acces I gave this guy may have installed something even worse....

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Firewall advice and Avast phone support
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:15:05 AM »
My PC now has some kind of redirect malware which redirects to canadaalltax.com on occasions.
to get removal help, see logs to assist in cleaning malware guide at top in viruses and worms forum section

comodo will conflict with avast if you install comodo firewall with antivirus
you have firewall in win XP and if you are behind a router with firewall that should be enough in my opinion .... but there are lots of users that dont agree on that

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Firewall advice and Avast phone support
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:41:06 AM »
For viruses and worms http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0
Follow instructions at the top of the board...http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.msg451454#msg451454

To install Comodo Firewall follow these instructions
This will prevent installing the Comodo Antivirus. I am running CFW v5.12 w/D+ alongside avast free with no problems.
For CFW v5.12 here's the link.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.