Author Topic: Avast temp file filling entire disk.  (Read 4822 times)

myke1124

Avast temp file filling entire disk.
« on: May 21, 2014, 07:43:23 PM »
Daily I am running out of disk space because of a single Avast temp file filling my dirve. The file is located in %userprofile%/Appdata/local/temp/_avast_/.  I am unable to delete this file while I have outlook running. After I delete this file I have 320G out of 500G free.  I think it is a little ridiculous for avast to create a temp file larger than the utilized space on the drive.

Things I have tried:
Un/reinstalled Avast normal and with the avast removal tool.
deleted 1g of email

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast temp file filling entire disk.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »
That is where avast sends files that it is going to scan and or unpack to scan.

So there must be some massive file being unpacked, when files have been scanned successfully avast would remove them from that folder.

There could be an issue with other security based applications blocking avast from removing it from the _avast_ folder. What other security software do you have installed, anti-spyware, firewall, etc. ?

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

myke1124

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:31:48 AM »
No other security software is installed.
When trying to delete the file I get an error stating the file is open in outlook. Is avast using outlook to unpack the mail data file?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:41:14 AM »
It sounds like a mailbomb.

myke1124

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 03:32:53 PM »
I ran comodo linux on my mail server and found 2 viruses in this mail directory.  It looks like avast can't delete email in an outlook data file.  Fortunately this mail account is imap and I can delete the messages on the server side.

TrojWare.JS.Agent.IT
TrojWare.Win32.Small.DBY

It appears the Avast people need to figure out how to delete email from an outlook data file.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 06:02:04 PM »
Already ran a boottime scan?
If not please do so.