Author Topic: avast! 9.0 BETA now available  (Read 13245 times)

Offline mity

• Avast team
avast! 9.0 BETA now available
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »
Please note we have just made avast! 9.0 Beta available for download.
You can find it here:

http://download.ff.avast.com/mac/beta/avast_free_9beta.dmg

EDIT: Beta 2 is now available. Go to the thread https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=151195.0 to get it

Minimal supported OS X version is 10.6.8.

Notable changes since 8.x:
  • New main UI
  • Preferences has moved from System Preferences into the main application (menu Avast > Preferences)
  • New major versions of browser avast! Online Security plugins bundled.
  • No user registration required.
  • Many structural changes and fixes under the hood for higher stability and performance.
  • Complete support for 64bits. (In version 8.0 the antivirus engine was still running as 32bit for historical reasons.)

Notes:
  • The beta shall update automatically to the final release build as soon as we release it.
  • Remember it is beta. There still may be bugs.

We assume the final version shall be released in few weeks.

Fell free to test and discuss any issues you encounter here on the forum.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:42:40 PM by mity »

Offline specimen9999

Re: avast! 9.0 BETA now available
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:05:59 PM »
I like the new GUI, it's less busy, simpler and minimal, it also unifies the appearance with the Windows version. However the main screen could be a bit more informative, like saying when was the last (successful) update and the virus definition version.

The new GUI also doesn't make it easy to scan just one particular object , it would be nice to have a context menu entry in Finder.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »
Do we need to uninstall old version or will it overwrite somehow?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:16:24 PM »
Uninstall is required.

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »
The new GUI also doesn't make it easy to scan just one particular object , it would be nice to have a context menu entry in Finder.

Thanks for the feedback. Please note you can trigger scan if you drag & drop any file on the avast! icon on the dock (even, when the main app. is not running, assuming you have the icon pinned in the dock). But I agree it is not much visible feature and we shall consider how to offer simple scan in a more obvious way.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 03:47:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Please note you can trigger scan if you drag & drop any file on the avast! icon on the dock (even, when the main app. is not running, assuming you have the icon pinned in the dock). But I agree it is not much visible feature and we shall consider how to offer simple scan in a more obvious way.

Thanks, I don't have it pinned down on the dock, I already have it on the menu bar, I would prefer to keep my dock only for the apps I regularly use (not a running 'service').

What about dragging to avast window when it's open? in 7 and 8 there was a small area for doing this, now it could be the full window.

I've always thought it was kind of strange that avast! didn't use the Finder context menu facility for scanning on demand, seems to be such an obvious choice? I know it requires placing a file in /Library/Contextual Menu Items/, but this could be installed/uninstalled from the preferences.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:28:48 AM by specimen9999 »

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:25:53 AM »
Quick question guys. In the previous version of avast for mac I had no problems playing games like WorldofWarcraft(WOW) & ElderScrollsOnline(ESO). But when running the 9.0 beta for the mac it caused me to be unable to play ESO at all. Constantly getting Login Error code 201. Also of note was the announcement section of the login screen that said it was unable to retrieve information. Any ideas guys?
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 04:50:47 AM »
Preferences>Web Shield>Advanced>Scan secured connections (untick)

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
This work on Yosemite does anyone know?

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:11:42 AM »
This work on Yosemite does anyone know?

Yes, it should. It was briefly tested with Yosemite preview 1 and we are not aware of any problems there.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »
I just installed 9.0 Beta on my iMac running 10.9.3. On trying various websites with Firefox 30, including google.com, mail.google.com and even this forum they are flagged as unsafe. any thoughts?

TIA
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:53:13 PM by loukingjr »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
I just installed 9.0 Beta on my iMac running 10.9.3. On trying various websites with Firefox 30, including google.com, mail.google.com and even this forum they are flagged as unsafe. any thoughts?

TIA

Looks like something went wrong with the import of the "avast! trusted CA" certificate to Firefox.
You can do this manually (Preferences->Advanced->Certificates->View Certificates->Import) by
importing the certificate from  "/Library/Application Support/Avast/config/certs/cacert.pem" *

* Do not import the ucacert.pem certificate!

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »

TIA

Looks like something went wrong with the import of the "avast! trusted CA" certificate to Firefox.
You can do this manually (Preferences->Advanced->Certificates->View Certificates->Import) by
importing the certificate from  "/Library/Application Support/Avast/config/certs/cacert.pem" *

* Do not import the ucacert.pem certificate!
thanks for the info and you were correct. FF is now fine. Safari and Google Chrome seem to work as well.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:24:19 PM by loukingjr »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »
Among other Macs I have a new MacBook AIR which is running 10.10 DP2 and I think I will see how Avast 9 runs on that. thanks again.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 09:26:55 PM »
I think I may know what happened with my original install. When I ran the installer I had FF open so the installer asked me to close it. Rather than clicking the close FF button in the Avast dialog, I just brought FF to the front and quit it. As soon as I did Avast continued with the install. I just installed Avast on my MacBook AIR but I closed FF before I started the installer and the CA was imported into FF properly without me having to do it manually.

Just a thought.