Author Topic: New process unsecapp.exe  (Read 77755 times)

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
New process unsecapp.exe
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:48:16 AM »
Since a few days (27-28  May),  ago after an Emergency update, appeared on many pcs, a new process called unsecapp.exe running permanently.

This process is legitimate Windows, but never had been active constantly.

It is right and necessary for Avast or is an update error?

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
Re: New process unsecapp.exe
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 11:44:05 AM »
In my case unsecapp.exe is used by AdFender.I have that process running since I installed AdFender.
Did you install some similar app ?

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
The day that appeared do not install anything nor antess nor after.

I never had this active process

But many cases in forums have been reported and all have Avast and happened the same day

http://www.forospyware.com/t486677.html

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389527

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2154724/unsecapp-exe-process.html

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
Yes. I would also like to know. Since EmUpdate 5/27 was done, unsecapp.exe and wmiprvse.exe are showing in my Task Manager.

I understand that wmiprvse.exe is commonly running in systems like Win 7 and win 8, but not in a XP system. The only time I saw wmiprvse.exe running was after FF v. 27. It will run when opening FF 27 and no other browser or program.

unsecapp.exe was first detected by Winpatrol 5/27 the same date the EmUpdate was applied.

Any reason why avast! 9 needs these 2 files running which belong to WMI ?

another topic about it:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19586212.aspx

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
Neither of those are running on my XP Pro system, but both are in the task manager listing on my win7 system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ky331

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
David,

On your XP, have you checked "Show processes from all users"?
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »
David,

On your XP, have you checked "Show processes from all users"?

That is my setup for task manager.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »
Neither of those are running on my XP Pro system...
Confirmed.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 09:50:29 PM »
Neither of those are running on my XP Pro system...
Confirmed.

Wierd. It/they must be related to another program and avast! working together in our systems since uninstalling avast! remove them from Task Manager.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:09:27 PM by iroc9555 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 11:05:18 PM »
I've to (partly) correct myself, wmiprvse.exe is in fact running (for a short time) after a reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 11:59:25 PM »
I have something very clear.That day do not install anything new and any updates, except the emergency update of Avast.

The process began about 10 minutes later, according to System Explorer.

Also in one of the links that I put on, a user with several pcs, to uninstall Avast, the process appeared not more and returned to install and restart the pc, the process was again there.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
The cpu load from WmiPrvSE will disappear after you restart
Windows Management Instrumentation Service.

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/what-is-wmiprvse-exe-and-why-is-it-causing-high-cpu-usage/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:03:04 PM by WJ »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:04:15 AM »
Hello,

I'm the person who wrote in reply#11 on the guru3d website about having noticed unsecapp.exe starting on 2 of my pc's but not starting up on my laptop nor my friends pc and both of those have avast as well.

Well a couple days after posting that I started up my laptop again and what do you know? unsecapp.exe appears in startup and I was talking to my friend again and he said his avast! wasn't the most latest version so I asked if he could update it for me to test it out, he said sure and guess what? He also has unsecapp.exe starting on his windows 8 pc after restarting when before when I asked he didn't.

Now it's been about 20 days since this has appeared on my pcs and it's still here, I'm not sure about you guys but I'd really like to know why avast! needs to have this startup all of a sudden (and yes before anyone says otherwise I can confirm it has to do with avast! and something about it's most up-to-date version).

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »
Wow. I also have this running on my win 7. And It is indeed started not so long ago as you have said. I have no idea this could related to Avast or not though, but the symptom in mine and yours are quite similar.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »
Hello again,

Today I decided to try a refresh(reformat I guess) of my Windows 7 pc and when everything was finished I checked task manager since there was almost nothing installed again, no unsecapp.exe at all. So I restarted the pc before I went to download google chrome/avast!/malwarebytes etc..etc.. and still no unsecapp.exe starting.

Before installing anything I went to download avast! first, installed it and let it do it's first setup quick-scan and then when that finished I checked if it was all up-to-date and such it was. Looked at task manger, nothing just the normal stuff didn't see unsecapp.exe, but again after I restarted with the only program I installed being avast! there it was, unsecapp.exe in task manger.

Again, I'm not at all worried about this program starting or anything since we know it's legit it's just why does avast! need this to start in these past few weeks? Since unless I'm wrong this program only starts when there's incompatibility detected with a program on windows so it starts to make it more 'stable'?

I guess an easy solution would be to move on from avast! to some other anti-virus but I don't really want to do that since I've been using avast for literally years. But this is getting pretty nuts that this hasn't been adressed yet. (I could contact support again about it, but last time was brutal it took a few days and I felt like I got an automated message telling me to discuss it on the forums that were down lol...)

Also on there twitter someone asked why unsecapp.exe is needed by avast! lately and the person responded saying "We'll ask our support team and get back to you" now that was a couple days ago so if they decide to get back to him why I don't know, I don't have the link to the discussion on there twitter but it was on the 14th if you want to check yourself.