Author Topic: New process unsecapp.exe  (Read 77788 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: New process unsecapp.exe
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 03:04:05 PM »
The Unsecapp.exe application is used in the communication of two computers and this program starts automatically in Windows vista. The Unsecapp.exe application is used to send results back to a client in a process that may not have permissions to be a DCOM service. Both scripting and the Microsoft .NET System Management namespace rely on the Unsecapp.exe application to receive the results of asynchronous operations.
Does this help.. From MS

to receive asynchronous callbacks for WMI client application running in different processes. WMI, Windows Management Instrumentation, enables software developers to write scripts and programs for the management or querying of devices, user accounts, Windows services, running programs, networking, and many other internal technical aspects of Windows - in other words the sort of work TUT does (for example : TUT, The Ultimate Troubleshooter, uses WMI to retrieve all the information that it shows on the System Info tab).

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
Never had seen this before EVER until about two weeks ago.  Now it seems to think it's my best friend in task manager along with wmiprvse.exe.  First time I saw unsecapp.exe, I thought it was a hacker joke...you know unsecure app as in Windows is unsecureable.  C'mon avast play straight with us.  What's going on here?  What can avast do now that it's using unsecapp.exe that it wasn't doing before?

I want to hear from the avast development team about this.  It seems pretty clear that avast is suddenly tying into Windows using unsecapp.exe, and I think it's fair for PC users to be concerned and want to know why.

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 04:17:47 PM »
I don't see problem, as the Pc operated correctly and if Avast needs of that process, so perfect.

We need to confirm is if it has to be so, or is an error

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »
Neither process is evident on win8.1.1

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 07:17:31 PM »
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389527

I am one of the poster in the above thread. I have now done this test on 5 win7 systems, ALL with AVAST the few that didnt have this unsecapp.exe running  started have it running once I update to the most recent version of AVAST as the few that did have the process running  where running 5+ months old versions of the avast. but once updated ALL started running this unsecapp.exe

I have since took owner ship of this unsecapp.exe and renamed to KEEP it from running on my personal PC. As it was never needed untill what ever AVAST had changed. And i know what is used for and there no PROGRAM on my that uses it.

Untill this has been remedied by avast I Will keep that program renamed to keep it from running. Cause Avast does it need it to to run and if I remove AVAST from all my PC i tested this on unsecapp.exe no longer runs.

One of these system i test on was FRESH install of win7 followed by Avast being installed followed by ever reboot after install runs this program.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 08:07:08 PM »
Renaming it, prevents other legitimate processes from using it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
The Unsecapp.exe application is used in the communication of two computers and this program starts automatically in Windows vista. The Unsecapp.exe application is used to send results back to a client in a process that may not have permissions to be a DCOM service. Both scripting and the Microsoft .NET System Management namespace rely on the Unsecapp.exe application to receive the results of asynchronous operations.
This process also runs WMI and should not be disabled

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 08:39:56 PM »
It's a legitimate MS Windows process.  See attached below (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit):
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »
It's a legitimate MS Windows process.  See attached below (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit):

I am perfectly aware of what it is for as I stated THERE IS NO program or process that HAS EVER used unsecapp.exe ever on my PC in 5 years i had this build NOT ONE nor has there every been.
( i watch taskmanger  to see what is running and what should not be there) unsecapp.exe is one them that was never there never ran in 5+years i had this build, Last time i saw this running on pc was when I  was XP.

Till what ever AVAST change to cause it nor has AVAST in the 5+ years I BEEN USING never needed it.  IT  may be legite but also security risk as to what the program allows.

IF it was need by something on my PC and it couldnt run I would get ton errors in event viewer regarding it which i do not. and if AVAST need it which does not it would most defiently be have entries in the the event viewer, which again it does not.

Cause I renamed the exe over 2 weeks ago. and there no issues no events in event viewer
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:11:46 PM by kyuu »

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
What's sad on this forum is that there's no-one from Avast that seems to be monitoring what's going on. Not one response from anyone from Avast. Which really makes the whole forum process a bit of a joke. Ironic that today I've had an email from them asking me to log in as their forum is now safe to use again - they say "The forum is an extremely important part of our business" - yeah right, pull the other one!
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 11:01:41 PM »
Like miguelgrado and ky331 I do not have any problem with unsecapp.exe and wmiprvse.exe running in my system. As essexboy stated or quoted, both are used for the comunication between computers by WMI so I am inclined to belive that SU, BC, or some new setting is avast! is using them. However, since DavidR and Asyn appear not to have any of these files since the last EmUpdate, it all depends which avast! tool or configuration they have active in their systems.

I have Software Updater, BrowserClenup, Remote Assistance, MailShield, and COMMUNITY active. Also I do not run DeepScreen but Hardened Mode set to agressive.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 08:08:16 PM »
According to one of the users,it looks like unsecapp.exe is connected with Browser Cleanup Tool.
In his/her case unsecapp.exe is gone after BCT uninstallation.
I didn't notice the difference since I have that process running since I installed AdFender.

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
win xp home sp3 here, Avast! free and outpost firewall.

Please can anyone say what Avast! process causes unsecapp.exe to start lately?
I don't really need some of the Avast! extras like browser cleanup, grime fighter, etc, so if unsecapp is called by one of those I will just turn that off.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.  :)

Fwiw: 
unsecapp runs here until it is stopped manually.
unsecapp can be stopped using process explorer, and does not restart until the computer is restarted.

I have renamed it to unsecapp._xe so it won't start. 
wmiprvse.exe still starts like it always did, so that is not affected by the absence of unsecapp. 
All other apps and processes seem to still work, but more time is needed to be sure. 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
Please can anyone say what Avast! process causes unsecapp.exe to start lately?
See: Reply #26
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »
Thanks, Asyn.  Saw that. 
Just wondered what OS the referenced member uses. 

Also, I just ran the browser cleanup tool manually and it gave the same result as always (1 untrustworthy add on).
It did not cause unsecapp.exe to start (it can't start, it has been renamed). 

If Avast! is indeed the cause for unsecapp starting I wouldn't worry about it much, but I would like to confirm it.
I will do that here and report back, just not sure how to confirm it. 

Can I accomplish  "BCT uninstallation" by simply unticking the box in Tools?