Author Topic: Computer is slow-avast software uses all resourcces  (Read 3912 times)

AndrewTWells

Computer is slow-avast software uses all resourcces
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:56:45 PM »
I have to keep turning off avast as it uses 100% of my resources on my computer and it stops operating. I noticed it doesnt work well with trillian. This has only happened since i installed the latest version. I am running XP.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Computer is slow-avast software uses all resourcces
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 12:06:41 AM »
Are you sure that it is Avast that is using 100% of your cpu.  How much ram do you have .   To be honest I find that Avast use few resources, so I feel you may have another problem.  What other programmes are you running at the same time

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 12:20:20 AM »
There are many users using trillian and avast! with no problem.

avast! has a number of elements that will be shown in the Task Manager screen which is using 100% CPU resources?

Try an, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot. This has been known to resolve this in the past.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Starfighter

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 04:31:21 AM »
And maybe do a spyware scan... (use Spybot Search and Destroy,  Ad-Aware and/or CWShredder etc...).  Spyware can screw up your system resources --rending programs to hang, lock-up etc...

thedon57

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 05:11:01 PM »
hi you must have something very big running on your computer, because i have, xp,sp2, 8 websites, firewall 2 antispy and avast all running, and still got 348 ram free and only using 2% cpu. so not avast did you used to have nortons or something else big.