Author Topic: Removing irritating Avast popups and "help."  (Read 1898 times)

REDACTED

Removing irritating Avast popups and "help."
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
Hi: I've used the paid version for years but now it is very irritating. It tries to do too much. I've removed as much as I can in the 'Appearance' settings. But I can't stop Avast trying to update other software. I don't want Avast to try to update my video drivers for example.
Is there any way to stop it interfering with my computer? Why can't it just stick to providing virus protection. Maybe I should use the free version instead  ;)
Thanks.
Donald

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Removing irritating Avast popups and "help."
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »
Go to remove programs and click on uninstall and then click change - untick all options in the centre column and only leave the 3 main shields on the left. 

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:08:34 PM »
I have been forced into accepting Yahoo as a browser by using Avast to clear out a malicious add on. I am quite happy with Firefox and have been for years. I have tried to amend the default browser but the programming prevents me from doing what I want. Any clues about how to get me back to square one (without dreaded add on) ?

::)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »
colintivy please start your own topic and help will be given there, please be as descriptive as possible explaining what exactly isn't working and what was removed.

Thankyou