Author Topic: CHANGE YOUR MARKETING PHILOSOPHY OR I'M GONE!  (Read 11138 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: CHANGE YOUR MARKETING PHILOSOPHY OR I'M GONE!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »
and those ads are really irritating... asking u to buy avast... Any sane person wanting to buy would buy it, and this popping ad is not going to convince some one to buy it.. It just irritates... like the youtube ads... sometimes frustrates me and feels like real viruses are a lot better than this :P Just kidding.

The problem is that the employees at avast like to get paid for their efforts.
Advertizing for an upgrade is a tiny price to pay for free protection. Another way
to look at is, "have you ever noticed the advertizing along highways and in a
newspaper?"
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
Yes, those ads on highways and newspapers dont pop out or jumping move :) have u noticed the ad on Avast 4 ? it was sane

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 07:42:57 PM »
So glad to see McBuff's post!

It's driving me crazy too!  I have a "suspicious plug-in", and Avast won't remove it unless I change my home page and search engine!?  WTF!! 

DO NOT FORCE ME TO DO UNRELATED THINGS TO MY COMPUTER IN ORDER TO DO YOUR JOB!!!!

I also will have to look for another anti-virus provider if this doesn't stop... it's too annoying.  I ignored one, maybe I'll just hit ignore on the other.  But who wants to ignore the message of something that wants to protect your computer? Doesn't that put my computer in danger?  If they want to protect my computer why are they blackmailing me to do so?? 

This sucks.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
You complain with an irritating moving script.
Yet you fail to see the easy solution...uninstall the browser cleanup.

Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "change">untick the "browser cleanup">reboot.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 07:28:14 AM »
ok ill try that

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
I've been using Avast! for years. Recently I noticed that taking the default install would subject me to "please buy me" stuff for the options I had installed that cost money. Which when I thought about it makes sense. If I install something that costs money, and don't buy it, sure it's going to ask me. No big deal, modify the install, uncheck the stuff that costs (like GrimeFighter), and voila! No more reminders to buy stuff that you installed and didn't pay for.

Personally, I am grateful to Avast for providing a free tool to protect my Windows computers. I consider having to perform a custom install and only install the free portions a small thing to have to do in order to get this capability.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »
I've been using Avast! for years. Recently I noticed that taking the default install would subject me to "please buy me" stuff for the options I had installed that cost money. Which when I thought about it makes sense. If I install something that costs money, and don't buy it, sure it's going to ask me. No big deal, modify the install, uncheck the stuff that costs (like GrimeFighter), and voila! No more reminders to buy stuff that you installed and didn't pay for.

Personally, I am grateful to Avast for providing a free tool to protect my Windows computers. I consider having to perform a custom install and only install the free portions a small thing to have to do in order to get this capability.

IMO, If the "Custom Install" was the only option, much of the frustration we are seeing would be eliminated and users would not be exposed to having stuff installed they are not familiar with or aware of.
Shields by Default and Tools Optional

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
Or...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "change">untick what you don't want>reboot.

But it is best to almost always do a custom install on any software.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 01:31:06 AM »

So VERY true.......I think the thing that has caught so many people by surprise is it seems from V8 to V9 the "buy me and not ready for prime time" stuff went thru the roof in content.  Avast has made a reputation on being clean no-fuss light A/V and V9 has changed IMHO to being filled with bloat-ware.  Others like BitDefender are now going after the "light"...no-fuss angle.  It comes down to "buyer beware".....or in this case "freebee guy beware".  I personally am a techy and when new MAJOR releases come out I troll the Forum to see what people think.....which I'm SO glad I did with Avast 9.....lets just say I'm still on Avast 8 on my PCs.  It seems Avast 9 (2014) was not solid until six months after release.  My point, is Avast probably has profited well with the "sell up" from freebee model.....but Avast 9 has SO MANY problematic bloat-ware, BSOD ridden, non productive, items that is leaves a bad taste in the non-techy persons mouth.  Obviously if a typical user has to figure out all this then he/she probably is gone before Avast knows it...forget the "sell up".

Anyway, I agree that the custom install is small price (effort) to pay.
The $$$$ question is what is Avast losing for this "requirement" to hook the FREE user......guess time will tell.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:34:32 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 06:22:09 PM »
After many years of use, I'm totally over Avast. I'm sick of the popups. I'm sick of having Chrome rammed down my throat every time I update. And the culmination was the awful AOS Firefox addon.

I switched to BitDefender yesterday. It just works - nothing else. No bells. No whistles. No intrusions. No sneaky "bonus" installations.

And to all those who say "Oh but you can prevent xxx by doing yyy, the point is that you shouldn't have to.

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 06:28:35 PM »
Some people:

A) Install the shields and avoid most or all of the extras.
B) Reconfigure Avast! to not emit anything unless a problem is detected.

It's not terribly difficult to get value from the product without annoyance.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 02:54:00 AM »
Some people:

A) Install the shields and avoid most or all of the extras.
B) Reconfigure Avast! to not emit anything unless a problem is detected.

It's not terribly difficult to get value from the product without annoyance.

-Noel
I repeat - you shouldn't have to.

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 03:04:43 AM »
Shouldn't have to what?  Configure the software I use to choose just the functionality I need and get the best performance from it?

-Noel

Offline Tia

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »
Shouldn't have to what?  Configure the software I use to choose just the functionality I need and get the best performance from it?

-Noel

Configure is certainly something else. You configure software that is installed. What this is about is adding or not (often not working) gimmicks.