Author Topic: Updates  (Read 5961 times)

chejose

Updates
« on: July 17, 2005, 02:52:19 PM »
When Avast tries to do the regular program update check, a message appears saying:

"The system cannot find the file specified."

And there it stops. Actually, the message does not give very much information, so I need help as what the problem may be and what to do.

Many thanks

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 02:57:59 PM »
Try to repair your installation. Add/remove programs > Select avast > when setup screen opens press repair. You must be online to do this.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 03:00:13 PM »
Sounds like you have inadvertently deleted the aswupd file. Initial solution would be to do a repair. Go to control panel add/remove programmes - select Avast -select remove -in the options select repair (you need to be on line for this) If this doesn't work the come back... And welcome to the best AV forum around  :D

EDIT Ylap you are a fast typer

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 03:05:29 PM »
EDIT Ylap you are a fast typer

HEHE!  ;D Just trying to help others as you!  ;)

chejose

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 03:18:44 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I had never tried that function before. If the problem continues, I will get back to you very helpfull guys.

Chejose

chejose

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 03:21:52 PM »
Hmmm.. the repair function didn't do the job. It tries to update, saying is is downloading a file, but then the message comes again that it cannot find the file...

Would it be best to remove it and install again?

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 03:26:09 PM »
Hmmm.... If Repair not helps, so I think it's the best sollution. Uninstall > Reboot > Install > Reboot > Update

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 03:32:09 PM »
Are you installing from an user with Administrator rights? Or the Administrator itself?
Do you use a firewall? Which one? Any program that could block access (PrevX, ProcessGuard, etc.)?
The best things in life are free.

chejose

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 03:53:57 PM »
Something strange is going on, so I will have to do a bit more work on the system it seems. When I try to download the file, nothing happens!

Again, though, thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »
Something strange is going on, so I will have to do a bit more work on the system it seems. When I try to download the file, nothing happens!
Maybe the firewall... Maybe the browser settings...
Are you trying to 'run' the file or saving it to your HDD? It's better safe the setup.exe file to your disk and run it from there.

chejose

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 04:02:17 PM »
No, I simply "click" on the download button, and nothing happens. I have downloaded many files and programs, but this is the first time this particular problem has happened. I prefer to save to disk and install later, but this time literally nothing happens.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 04:11:05 PM »
Silly question is your firewall allowing your download manager to access the net,  or even more worrying is there a programme that is attacking Avast by denying you the ability to download from awil.  Have you tried to download from another site..eg. MAJOR GEEKS, DOWNLOAD.COM

Edit It might be worth doing an online virus/trojan scan

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 04:12:24 PM »
No, I simply "click" on the download button, and nothing happens. I have downloaded many files and programs, but this is the first time this particular problem has happened. I prefer to save to disk and install later, but this time literally nothing happens.
Right click the link and choose 'Save destiny as...' or something like this and save the file to your disk.
Do you have any Download Manager installed (maybe it helps: GetRight, DAP, Fresh, FlashGet... there are many of them). But first just try to do what I've said before.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 04:17:40 PM »
Ok just found the link for the major geeks download  http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html