Author Topic: Browser Clean-up - Remove Ad-Aware Add-on  (Read 6126 times)

REDACTED

Browser Clean-up - Remove Ad-Aware Add-on
« on: June 16, 2014, 05:46:23 PM »
Would love some help.  Every time I log on I get the Avast Browser Clean-up which suggests I remove the Ad-Aware Add-on.  I would happily remove it if Avast didn't want me to change my homepage and search engine in order to do this.  I am only getting a Remove option, not a Disable option and cannot remove the Add-on without the above changes.  At the point of changing my Virus software to something else.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Browser Clean-up - Remove Ad-Aware Add-on
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »
At the point of changing my Virus software to something else.
would it not be easier to just remove avast browser clean up   ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:38:15 PM »
Hi.  I can't see where to do that but in any case think there must be a problem with Avast.  My PC keeps telling me it is turned off and won't let me enable it.  I have uninstalled and re-installed once and it lasted a day before this message happened - apparently Avast is telling Windows that it is disabled.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »
if you want to remove it

contolpanel > ad remove programs > avast > uninstall / Change > deselect what you dont want

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:48:50 PM »
Have to decide what to change it to - have used Avast Free happily for many years.  Perhaps back to AVG!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
Wouldn't be easier to follow the advice given by Pondus?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 07:59:26 PM »
Hi Para-Noid
I have (hopefully) disabled the browser clean-up however it hasn't solved the problem that my computer thinks I have no anti-virus protection.  Going to re-boot and if it's still a problem will have to change to another virus protection and see if that makes a difference (hoping it's not my computer!).

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »
If it is security centre telling you that, then disable the shields for a minute and then re-enable them

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »
Hi
I have re-booted and I'm not getting the Action Centre Virus Protection disabled message.  However, on looking in the Action Centre there is nothing anywhere about virus protection, disabled or otherwise.  As the Avast icon is spinning around and giving the impression of being enabled, I will hope for the best.  Hopefully this time it will last longer than a day before I get the message!

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »
Well, yet again the Action Centre is telling me my virus software is disabled and I am unable to enable it.  Can't risk my computer being unprotected so will have to change to another virus protection (on the plus side the Browser Clean-up message didn't appear!)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 08:04:37 PM »
Well, yet again the Action Centre is telling me my virus software is disabled and I am unable to enable it.  Can't risk my computer being unprotected so will have to change to another virus protection (on the plus side the Browser Clean-up message didn't appear!)

As has been said many times this is an issue with the Action Center, a throw back to previous versions of the Action Center - the WSC Windows Security Center.

If you have confirmed that avast is in fact running (task manager, and avast not reporting it isn't running), then you are confirming the issue is with the Action Center.

Do as suggested Disable the avast shields for a short time (very short time) and enable them again, this seems to bump start the Action Center.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security