Author Topic: avast! miss(ed) some malware. VPS updated.  (Read 25109 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: avast! miss some malware
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 01:57:39 PM »
ZAPro now has a similar system in V6 whereby a programme has to be allowed rights to change or add to the registry, add to startup, run other programmes or change other programmes.  At first run a popup appears asking to allow or deny the action.  A bit annoying when you update videos drivers, install programmes or update programmes which you have restricted  to running only, but a good level of protection that should stop spawning trojans - unless you have given it permission first which hopefully you wouldn't.  Any ? just ask..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 03:46:49 PM »
If you have so-called "Host Intrusion Prevention System/Behavior Blocking" installed on your computer, this nightmare infection should not be happend, I think. Kerio has no advaned Host Intrusion Prevention System/Behavior Blocking as Prevx but it can be last line of layered defence for you.
Yes, I know... But PrevX cannot be used in a system with a local proxy (it is not prepared to update through a proxy, etc.)
PrevX brought a lot of problems in some systems of mine. I need a less intrusive protection software.

But what I want is that avast! has better detection... and I'm not being listened by Alwil team  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2005, 06:00:30 PM »
If you have so-called "Host Intrusion Prevention System/Behavior Blocking" installed on your computer, this nightmare infection should not be happend, I think. Kerio has no advaned Host Intrusion Prevention System/Behavior Blocking as Prevx but it can be last line of layered defence for you.
Yes, I know... But PrevX cannot be used in a system with a local proxy (it is not prepared to update through a proxy, etc.)
PrevX brought a lot of problems in some systems of mine. I need a less intrusive protection software.

But what I want is that avast! has better detection... and I'm not being listened by Alwil team :'(

ZAPro6 takes over from prevxx and as far as I know it will work through a proxy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 03:50:14 AM »
ZAPro6 takes over from prevxx and as far as I know it will work through a proxy
Sure... ZA (pro and free) works very well through a proxy.
PrevX works but does not update through a local proxy  :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 03:30:17 AM »
Bump!  :(
I won't just give up to have a better avast! I'm not complaning but I'm not joking too  :'(

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 08:56:41 AM »
Hi Tech,

Well this week brought us two updates. The best for updates is the KAV 5.0 machine (Kaspersky 1 hour update), but Dr. Web is a good second (2 hour updates), thats why I installed the AV browser plug-in from Dr. Web to have a bit of extra in scanning the links I like to open (html OK, script OK javascript OK all checked on the Global Update Server of Dr. Web). I have the advantages of this minus the disadvantages of an heuristic AV product on my machine.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 02:01:00 PM »
AV browser plug-in from Dr. Web to have a bit of extra in scanning the links I like to open (html OK, script OK javascript OK all checked on the Global Update Server of Dr. Web).
Working very well and doing it's job. It could scan 'suspicious' downloads.

VPS is updated and malware detected now.

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sysinit32z.exe
FileID: 311
Virus Description: Win32:Trojano-1864 [Trj]

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sysinst54.exe
FileID: 312
Virus Description: Win32:Trojano-1866 [Trj]

Virus has been detected!
File Name: taras.exe
FileID: 313
Virus Description: Win32:Trojano-1865 [Trj]

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sys2431.exe
FileID: 314
Virus Description: Win32:Trojano-1867 [Trj]

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sys240.exe
FileID: 315

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sys5620.exe
FileID: 324

Virus has been detected!
File Name: sys5622.exe
FileID: 325

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: avast! miss(ed) some malware. VPS updated.
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 11:39:49 AM »
But it took very long to add them. I understand they have vaccations,but VPS updates are top priority for any antivirus. Especially for those that don't have any pro-active protection (not that this would be the reason not to update defs,but it's a smaller chance to get infected anyway). As Vlk mentioned in other Tech's thread about improving malware submission,priocessing and adding to VPS i hope this will really be improved :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 01:13:24 PM »
But it took very long to add them. I understand they have vaccations,but VPS updates are top priority for any antivirus. Especially for those that don't have any pro-active protection (not that this would be the reason not to update defs,but it's a smaller chance to get infected anyway). As Vlk mentioned in other Tech's thread about improving malware submission,priocessing and adding to VPS i hope this will really be improved :)

Hmm, I'm not in the virus team, but I am sure they have added many signatures in each VPS update. What I am also sure that Karel and Vlada have many yet unanalyzed samples. Perhaps you would like to place submited signatures to the top of the list? What if something more dangerous appears? Should those be postponed too?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 01:19:30 PM »
I'm sure that Karel and Vlada are doing their best. Normally updates do contain a lot of new things, but since there are many unanlyzed samples.... Shouldn't there be a 3rd person on the job? Perhaps just to make a preselection from the mails with fp's and 'real' samples?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 01:45:50 PM »
Shouldn't there be a 3rd person on the job? Perhaps just to make a preselection from the mails with fp's and 'real' samples?
I made mine the Eddy's words... Maybe RejZor could have a new job  ;)

TAP

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 03:23:07 PM »
No offense, so please pardon me.

Sometimes I really doubt about the way ALWIL does.

As we know, many AV companies have been improving their product capabilities like they get crazy, some has hourly/daily updates and some has so-called heuristic detection and they take these improvements to be a BIG marketing point.

Ask NOD32's users they will tell us their beloved AV has the better heuristic than other AVs, ask Kaspersky's users they will tell us their beloved AV has hourly updates and the better overall detection rates than other AVs.

While avast! seems to be ignored about improvement its detection rates, update scheme and proactive detection even these are the most important aspect of antivirus software, nothing more than detecting viruses/malware as soon as possible. So this reason seems to make avast! to be underrated AVs and has no unique marketing point when compared to thers.

What I really doubt is that, what other AVs do is nothing but over marketing hype or it is really needed?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 03:55:41 PM »
@TAP
No offence, but if you are so dissatisfied with avast's VPS updates and lack of heuristics (other than in the mail scanner) why are you still here?

avast's VPS update frequency is better than many AVs, auto update checks for an update every time I connect to the internet (dial-up) or every 4 hours if you remain connected and if there is an update available you get it. That has got to be better than any artificial hourly/two, four hourly/daily (and much worse weekly) update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TAP

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 04:44:54 PM »
@TAP
No offence, but if you are so dissatisfied with avast's VPS updates and lack of heuristics (other than in the mail scanner) why are you still here?

No, I'm completely satisfied with avast! and I think even avast! Home is better than some commercial AVs. But I'm just curious, I really doubt that what some other AVs do (e.g. updates/heuristic almost every breath its users take) now is nothing but over marketing hype or it is really needed?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 04:51:50 PM by TAP »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 08:50:32 PM »
No, I'm completely satisfied with avast!
As it was my first desire at this thread, we always want avast! better and better...