Author Topic: Avast online security  (Read 2511 times)

REDACTED

Avast online security
« on: June 19, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »
I've recently purchased avast AV pro, and I'm pretty happy with the product.

I'm a little disappointed, however, with the online security add-on  to the browser, I think that it actually contribute to the spam,browsing inteference and online tracking that it supposed to block.

By default, features like communityIQ (sends data to avast servers), Safeprice (which tracks my sites and offers me deals...really?), and Search engine results which highlights search results pages are enabled. Those are essentially the tracking tools that the add-on is supposed to block. It's ok to have them, but they should be disabled by default.

Another example: I received a message from the add-on that the Adobe PDF extension on IE is rated poorly and it is recommended to remove it. Fair enough, so I've asked to remove it. I was surprised to see a message that I have to choose Yahoo or bing as a homepage in order to remove the extension. Why is that exactly? I went to IE settings and removed the add-on myself...my home page remained the same.

I understand the need for these features on a free product, not on a paid one. For now, I removed the add-on...I'm still happy with the AV, though.

REDACTED

Re: Avast online security
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »
I agree.  When I pay money for a subscription all advertising for other sites should be off for default.

There are mentions that you can change the setup, doing a WinKey +X, But what comes up is no option to change something called SafePrice.   A very clever way of not letting us get rid of it.  I'm surprised that Consumer Reports thought this is okay.   

So, which of these settings gets rid of the shopping aids? 

Here is what is shown
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Anna78/story/25205

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:39:08 PM by Anna11_23 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 07:41:23 PM »
You can turn of Safe Price via the settings for the avast Online Browser Security ( AOS ) and if you don't want or need any of the browser feature then uninstall it via uninstall programs and features - click to uninstall avast then click change on the next screen and untick features not wanted.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »
Nothing fundamentally wrong with removing most every "Tool" add-on.  I only use the shields and the Software Updater myself.

-Noel