Author Topic: Notify button not working for me  (Read 3302 times)

Offline merckxist

Notify button not working for me
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »
I tried using the notify button on a topic and the forum s/w seems to remember that action since the button has now changed to unnotify. I tried looking through the help and searching the forum, but haven't yet found how the notification is delivered. Is it supposed to be an e-mail or some pop-up at login or something else? I have a valid e-mail in my profile, but haven't gotten anything there when the topic got updated. Do you need a minimum post count for it to work? When it does work, how does the notification get delivered?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Notify button not working for me
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »
The function is like a toggle switch, Notify sends an email (to your email address used in my.avast.com/forum) to notify of any new posts in the topic. Once you click that the notify changes to Unnotify, that is used to reverse the decision to notify you about new posts.

For this to work correctly you have to be using a legit/valid email address, which you say it has.

There is no minimum post count for it to work.

I don't use this feature, I choose to use the 'Show new replies to your posts.' So I don't know if there are any issues with the Notify feature since the new forum upgrade.

Check the Profile > Modify Profile > Notifications to see if you have set any notifications. This also shows when notifications are delivered, e.g. only once for a new post not for every new post since you last visited.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline merckxist

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:13:05 AM »
@DavidR,
Thanks for the info and the screen shot. I only see the first two items (Account Settings and Forum Profile). I don't get Look & Layout, Notifications and Personal Messages. Not sure if its a chicken/egg thing with the notifications. That is, I don't see the menu item if I don't have any pending notifications or I don't get any because the menu item has gone missing. I'm trying to tag some of the "persistent" topics that get interesting posts, not necessarily replies to my own posts. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the feature. I'll try Notify on a few more topics that I didn't initiate and see if anything shows in my e-mail, now that I know that's where to expect it. Got the spam filtering disabled (it was not on to begin with).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:27:15 AM »
I don't get Look & Layout, Notifications and Personal Messages.
You need 20 posts to get these.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:06:46 PM »
I don't get Look & Layout, Notifications and Personal Messages.
You need 20 posts to get these.

That may well be the case.

There were some other anti-spam measures that hadn't been applied (20 posts to use PM function), so I had hoped that the ability to modify certain profile settings before 20 posts (not newbie any longer) hadn't been applied.

@ merckxist
An other alternative, you could try bookmarking said persistent topics in your browser and access them when you browse the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline merckxist

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 12:53:08 AM »
Got an e-mail today for one of the topics I set for notify that got a new post. Maybe its a timing thing, like not taking effect unless the post is updated a "day" later or something likewise esoteric.  I did wait to ask until I saw a new post in the topic I tagged and hadn't seen any kind of notification activity, but apparently there's some built-in delay.

Thanks for the clarifications from everyone about how the feature works and the newbie effect on profiles.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 01:16:08 AM »
You're welcome.

One topic that you could try the Notify option on, which gets a lot of activity is the >> UPDATES << topic (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.0), that would be a good test case.

Offline merckxist

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:42:29 AM »
You're welcome.

One topic that you could try the Notify option on, which gets a lot of activity is the >> UPDATES << topic (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.0), that would be a good test case.

I did have that turned on overnight, but ended up getting a hit on Tests and other Media topics first. Updates seems to get something everyday, so that was a bit surprising. Once I got the other notification, I reset Updates to unnotify for just that reason. I will just manually check its recent pages every week or so. I'm more interested in getting posts I consider high priority that get less frequent posts like the Tests and other Media topics and SECURITY WARNINGS and Notices. Saves a bit of time not checking all the time when the new posts are not a daily occurrence yet might be good to see as soon as they show up.

Thanks for the input! I'll check back if the notices quit showing up :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.