Author Topic: Thanks, Avast!, for making it possible to ignore suspicious items  (Read 2241 times)

REDACTED

Starting Visual Studio today, Avast! popped up a "Suspicious Item Detected", "Evo.Gen" message.  Those happen all too often nowadays, but that's a subject for another discussion.

I'm quite sure my install of Visual Studio hasn't gotten infected since last night.

Under my breath I cursed, since I figured I was dead in the water until I took the time and made the steps to get the specific component into the "ignore" list. 

But in my frustration I did something I hadn't tried before - rather than make a choice in the box I just closed the Avast! pop-up with the X in the upper-right corner.  To my surprise, Visual Studio came up and ran properly.  Nothing was added to the Virus chest.

Am I mistaken in interpreting this is a "hidden in plain sight" way to effectively choose "allow anyway this time"?

If I'm right, and that's what this is - thank you, Avast!, for providing a way for thinking, aware users who know what they're doing to push past a false positive indication in the expedient of getting work done.

-Noel

REDACTED

Re: Thanks, Avast!, for making it possible to ignore suspicious items
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:33:12 AM »
Hm, this is not accurate.  Too bad, it was a nice dream.

I had a false positive in a tool used during a build and Avast did not allow it to execute even when I hit the X.

:(

-Noel

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 03:06:48 AM »
Hm, this is not accurate.  Too bad, it was a nice dream.

I had a false positive in a tool used during a build and Avast did not allow it to execute even when I hit the X.

hello

send file to virus@avast.com with "False positive" in subject email

or else use http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 12:15:30 PM »
You can set Avast to aggressive hardened mode, this will then allow the option to add as an exclusion (I think )