Author Topic: Automatic Update  (Read 10126 times)

Fromsej

Automatic Update
« on: October 21, 2003, 04:05:43 PM »
HI, I have just installed Avast Home edition on my PC, my question is woh do I get Avast to update and scan automatic, I can´t seem to find any settings at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Automatic Update
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 09:37:43 PM »
HI, I have just installed Avast Home edition on my PC, my question is woh do I get Avast to update and scan automatic, I can´t seem to find any settings at all.

1. Right click on the blue 'a' icon at the system tray.
2. Choose 'Start avast! Antivirus'
3. Right click on the screen (skinned)
4. Choose Settings
5. Choose Update (basic) and the details button...
6. Set Update (advanced)

Seems simple  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Fromsej

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 11:51:27 PM »
Anything is simple if you know how to do it, I didn´t that was why I asked. ::)

techie101

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 12:46:34 AM »
Fromsej,

Don't be afraid or hesitant to ask questions here.
That is why we are here.  ;)

Technical is an excellent source of information and he only meant that the procedure would be simple to perform following his instructions.

Come back here anytime for help.
Nice to meet you.

techie101  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 12:53:47 PM »
Fromsej,

Don't be afraid or hesitant to ask questions here.
That is why we are here.  ;)

Technical is an excellent source of information and he only meant that the procedure would be simple to perform following his instructions.

Come back here anytime for help.
Nice to meet you.

techie101  :D

Fromsej, techie knows me very well. I was really just saying that the procedure is simple. By the way, do you succeed?

Wellcome to foruns...  ;)

Fromsej

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 03:47:17 PM »
Yes, it was a complete success thank you very much. :D
I will surely return, if I have other questions about Avasr or anything virusrelated.

kojak

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2003, 04:47:01 PM »
When I initially started using avast! I encountered the same scenario.  The manner in which the 'Start avast! Antivirus' window/application is opened could be improved.  Avast functions is a bit backwards in this regard.  Double clicking on the Avast icon should display the 'Start avast! Antivirus' window.  'On-Access Protection Control' should be secondary.

Quite sometime ago I made this suggestion for change in the 'New features for next major release of avast!'.  My suggestion fell on deaf ears; does anyone have a rock I can drop on someones head?  He... he...  ;D

« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 04:33:49 AM by kojak »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 12:29:06 AM »
The manner in which Avast functions is bass-ass-backwards.  When I initially started using Avast I encountered the same scenario.  Double clicking on the Avast icon should displaty the 'Start avast! Antivirus' window.

Quite sometime ago I made this suggestion for change in the 'New features for next major release of avast!'.  My suggestion fell on deaf ears; does anyone have a rock I can drop?  ;D

'On-Access Protection Control' should be secondary.

Hello kojak... I think your suggestion, once posted, will be serious analysed. I agree with you, the 'Start' option could be the main feature and the 'On-Access' not. But, let avast! team process it. New releases (or builts) are coming soon. I'm making a review of the WISHLIST but I do not have enough time to finish... I think avast! team could not listen all of ours suggestions imediatly. I'll post your suggestion again. Anyway, thanks.  ;)

techie101

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 12:52:50 AM »
kojak,

Please try to keep posts related to the subject at hand AUTOMATIC UPDATE, or start a new topic in the future.  This simplifies the manner in which we offer support.

I understand your frustration, but believe me, all suggestions are reviewed.

Let us examine the purpose of the A ball in the tray.
It is not an indicator for use with the AVAST anti-virus scanner, but shows when the On Access Protection is functioning.
This is the reason why clicking on it does not take you directly to the scanner.

The same reasoning applies to the I ball in the tray.

The tray icons are visual indicators not shortcuts.

However, your suggestion is a good one.  I am sure that the A ball could be converted to left and right click functions.

Thanks......
Techie

PS:  Your b___ a___ b____ description of Avast, although somewhat correct is a little to "racey" for the forum.  Try a little less description next time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 12:57:52 AM by techie101 »

Walker

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 01:09:36 AM »
The tray icons are visual indicators not shortcuts.

However, your suggestion is a good one.  I am sure that the A ball could be converted to left and right click functions.

Techie,

Just another humble opinion... the present operation of the icon (mine are merged) works quiet well I think with the left click bringing the Scanner and the right click the other 9 or 10 menu options. Personally I wouldn't like to lose the present funcionality and have to go through the stat menu etc to find some of those options.

I think changing it would spoil it, but as I say just MHO.

Walker.

techie101

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 01:26:21 AM »
walker,

Actually, I like the idea of left click for AV program and right click for options.
But who am I...but a humble servant of Avast.  :D

My icons are not merged.  I do so to keep track of OAP and VRDB function operation.

Most programs have the option of using the Program file folder for options anyway.  I do that most of the time to keep my desktop clutter free.

techie
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 01:27:17 AM by techie101 »

Walker

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 01:38:10 AM »
I do that most of the time to keep my desktop clutter free.

Yep agree, I'm now getting 'task bar' clutter  :) ... but I use them all  :-\

kojak

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 04:01:20 AM »
I definately agree on keeping the tray icons to a minimum.   After discovery of VRDB which was immediately after the install, I merged the icons.  I highly suggest to merge the icons as default and let new user's discover it's capabilities with time.

Uninstalling Norton AV was the best thing I could have ever done and always thought that to be the case.  It just took time to discover the best replacement - avast! of course. :)

kojak

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 04:27:27 AM »
kojak,

Please try to keep posts related to the subject at hand AUTOMATIC UPDATE, or start a new topic in the future.  This simplifies the manner in which we offer support.

The failure/difficulty to find automatic updating is directly related to the manner in which avast implements opening of the application and access to it's options.  I found it a grand opportunity to improve upon/suggest a different manner of gaining access to the avast! options and minimize this type of needed support in the future.

And by the way, no frustrations here whatsoever...  I just want my Maypo :'(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 04:30:34 AM by kojak »

techie101

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2003, 04:27:54 AM »
Kojak
Walker,

Thank you both for your support of Avast.

The greatest thing about Avast is that it is constantly growing with new improvements and features.

and let us not forget the Super-great support!

Techie ;)

PS:  Kojak...I DID notice you modified an earlier post.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 04:33:12 AM by techie101 »