Author Topic: XP SP2 slow shutdown  (Read 14280 times)

MrRAlan

Re: XP SP2 slow shutdown
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 11:45:31 PM »
I get these Application warnings when this happens.

Event Type:   Warning
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1517
Date:      7/15/2005
Time:      9:52:09 PM
User:      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:   xxx
Description:
Windows saved user xxx\yyy registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

bertil

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 10:07:06 AM »
Good morning again!

Thank you very much for all feedback!

I have tried msconfig and disabled some services but it takes too much time to disable/enable services. From time to time the system shudown is normal and I can't trust that the disabled sevice was the cause.

I think it would be funny to find out the cause of this shutdown delay.

Microsoft has some KB articles about shut down problems (eg USB).

Is it possible to enable logging in Avast in this late stage?

I would like to try a debugger, please tell me more!

Regards
Bertil

bertil

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 10:17:08 AM »

Event Type:   Warning
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1517
Date:      7/15/2005
Time:      9:52:09 PM
User:      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:   xxx
Description:
Windows saved user xxx\yyy registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

I think the shutdown process is a three or more step process.
First a logoff process

Then a save settings process
I think the above happens while windows displays "saving your settings" during the shut down process?

Then a terminate process process
In my case windows hang during "windows is shuting down".

Regards
Bertil

bertil

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 07:03:27 PM »
Good evening!

Perhaps this is the wrong forum for this...

I now have a dump when XP is in the "slow shut down state" waiting for something.

I have also got the debuger running and have loaded the dump file into it.

Does anyone have a clue where to start looking?

Regards
Bertil

bertil

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 07:07:00 PM »

I don't understand ? Please explain.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 07:38:38 PM »
This really isn't a problem, I occasionaly get this error a program is running in the background that has something still loaded in memory. For me I believe it is SnagIt when I have done an image capture, that is likely to be in memory untill saved to the HDD. I'm not sure if this is/should be cleared from memory when saved to disk.

1. it is only a warning and not a full blown error.
2. unless it happens every time, trying to find the culprit is more hassle than the warning in the event logs.
3. relax, don't worry, be happy ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bertil

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2005, 05:00:33 AM »
Good morning!

I wonder if the dumpentry in the enclosed file is of any use?

Regards
Bertil

louise250

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 07:52:03 AM »
Might Avast be checking all modified and changed files before shutting down?

You could test this by temporarily disabling that function and seeing whether shutdown speeds up.

But, on my computer, when I hit start/shutdown/restart, the first thing that seems to happen is that Avast shuts down and puts the little red x on its icon.  I believe it's my firewall (Sygate Pro), that actually slows the shut down process...but it is impossible to be sure.

Louise

bertil

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2005, 05:57:00 PM »
Might Avast be checking all modified and changed files before shutting down?
Don't know.
The dump is taken when XP seems to do nothing but wait during a 3 minute period just before power off.

You could test this by temporarily disabling that function and seeing whether shutdown speeds up.
Yes, with ashServ.exe disabled everyting is fine.

I believe it's my firewall (Sygate Pro), that actually slows the shut down process...but it is impossible to be sure.
I have tried with a sygate disable but that does not help.

Regards
Bertil

bertil

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 06:00:22 PM »
Such problems are almost impossible to debug (at least without the aid of the kernel debugger). This is because the system refuses to load any monitoring tools at this stage - it just sits there and waits for something - without the ability to determine for what it's waiting...
Ok.
Do you think it's possible by inspecting the dump?

Regards
Bertil