Author Topic: Avast for Mac Uninstaller Does Not Work  (Read 3726 times)

REDACTED

Avast for Mac Uninstaller Does Not Work
« on: June 26, 2014, 04:25:20 PM »
I installed Avast for Mac with the standard configuration options.

I decided that I preferred another antivirus solution and used the Avast uninstaller to remove Avast.

Yet I still get the annoying SafePrice spam in my browser.  I do not want to disable it or hide it.  I want to remove it and every file and setting change Avast made on my system.  How do I do that?

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Avast for Mac Uninstaller Does Not Work
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
Hi,

this is feature because for some browsers people may have this installed independently from avast! antivirus. You have to remove the add-ons in browser preferences.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
this is feature because for some browsers people may have this installed independently from avast! antivirus. You have to remove the add-ons in browser preferences.

Thank you for the reply. 

I want to remove it and every file and setting change Avast made on my system.  How do I do that?  That's what I expected the uninstaller to do.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »
Bump.  Still awaiting a reply:  How do I remove all traces of Avast from my Mac?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »
Still awaiting a reply:  How do I remove all traces of Avast from my Mac?

As already said: You uninstall avast! using the uninstall menu option (uninstall utility) and remove
the browser plugins from Safari/Chrome/Firefox, if you have any of them.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 03:52:49 AM »
Still awaiting a reply:  How do I remove all traces of Avast from my Mac?

As already said: You uninstall avast! using the uninstall menu option (uninstall utility) and remove
the browser plugins from Safari/Chrome/Firefox, if you have any of them.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear.  I am asking about "all traces of Avast," not just the browser extensions that I know about.  I mean any and all of the files and settings, including those I do not know about, that the uninstaller does not remove or revert.  I want to be assured that I have returned my system to exactly the same state as before I installed and tried Avast for Mac.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:06:42 AM by Fred5 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 04:12:00 AM »
As with Mac or Windows you should be able to run a search for Avast and delete any leftovers, something to think about when doing future testing is to make an Image of the system prior to installing any program and if you don't like it then it's as simple as restoring that image.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »
To verify if the uninstaller has done the job, launch Terminal and write this command :

sudo find / -iname *avast* -ls (your admin password will be prompted)

Perhaps you will have false positives responses.