Author Topic: Adblock Plus For Android clash with Avast anti-theft? Help please.  (Read 5253 times)

REDACTED

Hi all.

Straight up, my thanks to the Avast team for an excellent mobile app, including anti-theft.

I have Avast Anti-Theft v3.0.7118 installed on my rooted phone, Android 4.1.2. When I logged into my account via my PC tonight I found that my phone was not responding to anti-theft locate commands. I very recently installed Adblock Plus For Android v1.2.1 and immediately suspected it was the culprit. I should point out that this is not the ABP browser add-on.

After disabling ABPFA the phone began responding to commands again via my PC. Does anyone know if the is a known conflict/problem and if so is there a way around it?  I’d like to put ABPFA back into service if possible.

My thanks and appreciation for any help.

All the best,
J

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Adblock Plus For Android clash with Avast anti-theft? Help please.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
Hi,

is the Adblock Plus an app with rooted features as well?

Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:59:41 PM »
Thanks Filip.

Yes it is. The rooted feature is the ability to fire it up at startup of the phone. I suspect the problem may have something to do with the ABP proxy settings. When I opened ABPfA to disable it there was a warning that it was unable to configure the proxy settings and that I needed to set them manually. The warning was not there when I originally installed it, after opening it's UI several times.

However, that seems contrary to this statement from their site:

"If you're running Android 3.1 or higher, or if your device supports manually configuring a proxy, root is not required. But it is always desirable, since it is the only way to seamlessly block ads on all connections."

Considering I'm running Android 4.1.2 and ABPfA has rooted privileges the need for manual proxy settings has me confused even though my phone supports it. I understand that the way ABP works is not Avast's problem, I'm just trying to give as much info as I can. I was unable to find any useful info via the ABP site and am hoping someone may have had a similar experience and figured it out.

Thanks,
J.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
Hi,

hmm, and other apps work just fine? Google Cloud Messaging is used for the communication from avast! Account so if the Adblock somehow disables that then it doesn't work.

Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »
Filip, ABP allows the user to subscribe to a number of blocking lists. I'm currently using one called "Easy List" which I think I can add or remove entries. I've searched the list for Google Cloud Messaging but can find no direct hit. Do you per chance know if GCM goes by another name that might be found on a "black list"? I'm sorry if I'm not able to make myself more clear, I'm not familiar with the correct terms.

Thanks,
J

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
Hi,

try Cloud-to-Device Messaging (C2DM), that's the old name.

Filip

Offline Sam 2

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 11:25:28 PM »
Filip, ABP allows the user to subscribe to a number of blocking lists. I'm currently using one called "Easy List" which I think I can add or remove entries. I've searched the list for Google Cloud Messaging but can find no direct hit. Do you per chance know if GCM goes by another name that might be found on a "black list"? I'm sorry if I'm not able to make myself more clear, I'm not familiar with the correct terms.

Thanks,
J
I dumped Adblock Plus because of issues like this. I recommend setting your dns setting to these from here: http://dnsplease.com

It will block virtually all ads in all apps.  :)

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »
Thanks for all your help Filip but I've really just hit the wall with this and think I'll simply uninstall ABP. I've checked the blocking list that it uses and can find no entry making reference to Google Cloud Messaging or Cloud-To-Device Messaging. The ABP app seems to work fine with the exception of the problem I mention but the Avast Anti-Theft phone locating service is far more important to me.

Thanks Sam 2 but I don't think using a DNS server is something I want to do at the moment.

All the best,
J.  :)

Offline Sam 2

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
Thanks for all your help Filip but I've really just hit the wall with this and think I'll simply uninstall ABP. I've checked the blocking list that it uses and can find no entry making reference to Google Cloud Messaging or Cloud-To-Device Messaging. The ABP app seems to work fine with the exception of the problem I mention but the Avast Anti-Theft phone locating service is far more important to me.

Thanks Sam 2 but I don't think using a DNS server is something I want to do at the moment.

All the best,
J.  :)
All you need to do is put the dns numbers from that site into your router and ads will be blocked for all devices that access your wifi.